water wells

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by ty smith, Sep 11, 2017.

1. ty smith

ty smith New Member

I'm in an area ina river bottom where I believe there to be good water at a shallow depth(+/-50ft) I've contacted a few well drillers in the area to drill a larger size well for around here(10"+) but all the prices I've gotten were 80-150K, but of course all these prices are to use oversize rigs and what not, and some don't believe I have enough water at that depth. I have a water well with 2" screens in the bottom at 45' that will make 43 gallons per minute. So I was thinking that a 10-16" straight walled well would get me to enough to feasibly flood duck ponds. I see multiple people in and around Missouri that put in multiple wells that are good size wells and they use pvc casing which tells me they are very shallow. What kind of methods are they using around there to do this? I can't see some of those people spending the kind of prices I've been giving. I keep thinking that there must be some kind of auger type rig for that shallow, similar to what is used to put in the conductor and mouse hole to start drilling and oil well. Any ideas?

2. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge Refuge Member

I just checked today on a 16" steel pipe well. 30 ft deep is $7500.00. I don't know how they drill it. That's just what I found out. I'm in southeast Mo. Dont know if that helps.

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

4. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Lots of variable in wells based off of how much water you need and how deep you have to go to meet that need

Other variables would be size of casing pipe and what power source you are using

5. ty smith

ty smith New Member

da fowl, I remember you talking before about putting in wells at different places. I know that there are a lot of variables, was just wondering if somebody could get me in the right direction since I already have a well in the zone that I am talking about. Didn't know if there was anyway to guesstimate what a 16" well would do in the same spot that a 4" well with 2" screens would do.

6. da fowl slayer

Here in Tn every well drilled is registered w the state

I simply contact a driller
    Ask him to pull those results of like wells in my area and topo

That's best way to estimate

Then look at the ground acreage you have how many acres ?

You will know how long it will take to flood plus also a cost estimate because once your driller pulls those records he will be able to tell you the cost for a similar well

I paid 52,000 for a well two yrs ago
    It was 400ft deep
    Big well

100ft deep wells are more like 15-25,000

bullpinnie likes this.
  7. da fowl slayer

The state here will show if the well was successful
    How deep
    And gpm

The main deal is how much are you flooding ?

Then I can answer more accurately what size well you prob need

For comparison I am getting 2000gpm of each well

I have two wells
    Same setup
    $52,000 each
    Not counting power units

But I can flood 350 acres in less than 14 days

Shallow wells of 100ft or less here usually put out 500-1200gpm
    These are used to flood 100ac or less , generally less

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Ty

Click on the link from my previous post. Do a search with the river name that you are close to. It will tell you all about the aquifer, well depth, GPM wells, and water quality. You can also call those guys and they're happy to help.

cam, WHUP ! Hen and da fowl slayer like this.
  9. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge Refuge Member

Bullpinnie , I hunt down around 10 mile pond. The price on the well was without the turbine, that's about $3000.00

10. Greekangler

Greekangler Senior Refuge Member

Yes for a well that shallow that seems extremely high they typically charge by the foot I don't get it. Obviously size of pump and casing adds the cost but the majority of the cost is obviously size of pump and casing adds to cost but a majority of the cost is that depth.