Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl and Turkey Guiding ATTENTION

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by brycec, Feb 4, 2014.

1. woodsboy

woodsboy Refuge Member

I called the Governor's office this morning. They're still taking comments.

woodsboy

2. decoymaker

decoymaker New Member

If you go to the link to the bill that is in brycec message #33 it looks like Butch signed the bill yesterday.

3. ML Racing Mules

ML Racing Mules Refuge Member

If the governor doesn't veto a bill it goes into effect after 10 days with no signature.

4. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

I guess we now know where the sportsmen in Idaho sit compared to the power and influence that large corporations like the Farm Bureau have when it comes to issues like this. I just hope that some one doesnt seriously get hurt or get killed now due to opening this can of worms. And it will be one he** of a mess for the OGLB now or for anyone to enforce anything as far as outfitting or guiding on private lands go.

My hats off to everyone who put the effort into trying to get this bill stopped and especially to Bryce who took so many personal days to go and testify to try and stop this bill from becoming law. I just wish more of us would put a quarter of the time and effort into this issue as Bryce has. Here's to you Bryce and I hope by next year we can get the hunters and sportsmen of Idaho better organized and pull off stopping the outfitting and guiding for waterfowl and turkey.

Remember everyone, it is an election year and all the politicians are looking out for themselves no matter what they say, and they are not going to jepardize their position with the groups like the Farm Bureau by vetoing a bill like H0597. Its reality sad to say.

Again, thanks everyone for the time and effort you all made in trying to stop the bill. One thing you can now do though, is to let the Governor know how disappointed you are in his signing of the bill and turning his back on the sportsmen and individuals of Idaho. He just lost my vote.

5. Boeinguy737

Boeinguy737 Senior Refuge Member

Anyone here that can translate the final bill's legaleze into plain English for we common folk?

Thanks to Bryce and everyone that took the time to fight this battle. I wonder what the OGLB's thinks about this bill now. Sometimes one should be careful what they ask for.

6. brycec

brycec Senior Refuge Member

Basically any landowner can now outfit or guide on their own private land without any license from the Idaho Outfitters and Guides Licensing Board. They can also lease to any other person that can outfit and guide on their land and the landowner decides if that person needs to have a license or not. This applies to all activities, i.e. hunting, fishing, agri-tourism, ziplines, skiing, etc.

Landowners will need to be savvy here. If they allow someone without a license to outfit and guide commercially they better make sure that person is insured or they are likely to be liable if there is an accident.

Thanks for all the appreciation on the effort. I seriously think this will damage the hunting heritage we have in Idaho and hurt youth recruitment.

7. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

As primary time gets closer for many of our legislators who voted to implement House Bill H-597, we will find that this is one of the many laws that some are very proud to promote. I do believe, as many on here and others who have opposed this bill will say, is going to destroy the requirement of having a bill for hazardous activities such as guiding for big game etc on private land. Here is what Steve Bair, Senator for District 31 in Bingham county says on his website.

"Additionally, over the years, Guides and Outfitters have expanded their authority to require a license for activities like wagon rides, dog sled rides, zip lines, horse rides, and other activities that occur on private property. When the Guides and Outfitters Board was first created in 1951, the board was only licensed for hunting and fishing excursions into Idaho’s backcountry. There has been a steady expansion of the agency authority to include seemingly almost all outdoor activities. H597 restricts Guides and Outfitters licensing to only public property. Private property owners, who desire to provide wagon rides, dog sled rides, etc., will not be forced to have a Guides and Outfitters license, unless they choose to."

Remember, we all vote too, not just the Farm Bureau that sponsored this bill and remember, most of the legislators who supported this bill own farms and I am willing to bet are members of the Farm Bureau too. I know one thing, Steve Bair has gotten more campain money from the Idaho Farm Bureau than any other group in the state while running for his Senate Seat. You think these guys will vote against their biggest finance contributors?

Keep all of this in mind folks as we go to the polls in the primaries this spring.

http://senatorbair.com/2014-end-of-session-notes/#more-252

8. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Sounds to me like you've got a mess. I hope it works out for you. :tu

9. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Here is where the mess potentially could come from.

1. Some guys decide they can make some money by guiding for waterfowl. Be it as a licensed outfitter or landowner.
    2. They will invest some money (and maybe some will even invest the amount it takes to try and do it right) and give it a go.
    3. In a few seasons they will find out that there are two major problems with trying to make money.
    a. The demand is NOT there (which we already know from the fact that the existing outfitters have lots of unused guide trips they can't sell).
    b. They can't afford the amount of land (leased or owned) needed to maintain a steady supply of waterfowl.
    c. Idaho doesn't have major waterfowl migration in the first place.
    4. They fold up shop.

So the mess becomes that how many landowners that used to allow guys to hunt just shut off their property for good do to the hassles dealing with outfitters or losing money when they tried to do it themselves. #1-4 are going to happen. The end result may or may not screw the rest of us in the long run. Only time will tell.

10. WATERDOGS

WATERDOGS Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I guess they have lots of time so they just keep tightening the rope around the working stiffs throat. I think for the most part the folks that were going to ***** themselves out already have when it comes to private land through leases and so on. I just hate how this was slipped through without very many people knowing it. I mean I have a friendthat is one of the top five private land owners in the state that didn't even know about this. :doh