Waterfowl around Parkersburg area?

Discussion in 'West Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Maze1284, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Maze1284

Maze1284 New Member

New to the site and just curious to see if there are any guys here that hunt ducks or geese in and around the Parkersburg area. I'm an active duty Marine and have been out of the state for the past 9 years but I am about done with my service and heading back home to Parkersburg. Anyone know how good the waterfowl hunting is in the area? Thanks in advance!

2. Ohh2ofowl

Ohh2ofowl Senior Refuge Member

Thank you for your service. Depending on the weather it is great there in January but a lot of pressure. PM when you get out and duck season is in. My partner is an ex-Marine and we can take you out on the River

3. Maze1284

Maze1284 New Member

A lot of pressure huh? That's the first I've heard that. Everyone I talk to says that hardly anyone in the area hunts them. You guys killing more ducks or geese for the most part?

4. Ohh2ofowl

Ohh2ofowl Senior Refuge Member

Depends on where we set up. If we want to key on ducks we only set out a few goose decoys. If you want to kill geese we put out over 5 dozen floaters and then any small flock decoys. It is a big river bout the pool at Parkersburg has a lot of pressure on it.

5. Maze1284

Maze1284 New Member

I'm ready to get back to WV and start hunting. I'm over the California hunting. Even though I have shot some cool birds out here.

6. WOODIE13

WOODIE13 Elite Refuge Member

Welcome back and thanks for your service, I retired out of the Army, so don't hold that against me. Key is weather and scouting. If you have a big boat, there are some good hunting ops on the Ohio River. Also, they allow hunting on the Ohio River refuge, just have to send out or call for a permit, it is free, never have hunted it though. Good luck and be safe

7. Maze1284

Maze1284 New Member

Hey Woodie I only a 14' flat bottom at the moment but looking to get a bigger one when I get back. I have heard good things about the Ohio and the tributaries. Just going to have to do a lot of scouting. Are there any crazy restrictions on hunting the river?

8. WOODIE13

WOODIE13 Elite Refuge Member

You can hunt both sides of the Ohio River, no Sunday hunting on it, 500 feet from any dwelling, just the standard rules. The Ohio can get pretty nasty with high water and wind, just know you limitations and practice risk management. Give me a shout when you get back