Waterfowl choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Jeremybittler, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Jeremybittler

Jeremybittler Refuge Member

I will be shooting a Remington v3 at sea ducks using whincester blindside ammo this fall and was wondering what your opinions where on aftermarket choke tubes? I've been looking at Carlson blindside choke tube, Turlock waterfowl 2 pack and Muller decoying choke.. not sure if Muller is worth the money and if an ammo specific choke really is any differnt..also would it be benifical to save money buying cheap tube and later on getting enlarged slam button on extended bolt handle??

Ps if in wrong sub form please move

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

It would be worthwhile to not fall for goofy marketing spin that somehow a cube is more stable in flight than a sphere".

gglenn13, payton and JP like this.
  3. Jeremybittler

Hexagon hits the target with more area, force, and kinetic energy simple physics

4. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I have one choke tube. terror that I bought for snow goose hunting. It shoots too tight for duck hunting in the woods where I do most of my hunting these days.

Good on turkey though!

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Might want to rethink your simple physics.

gglenn13, BAYDOG, Squaller and 3 others like this.
  6. Jeremybittler

I know that a sphere will fly straighter and faster but that's not all that matters

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

That is theoretically and practically false. For example, a dimpled golf ball has less air resistance than a smooth ball of the same size and weight. This means less drag force and the ball going farther. The lower air resistance is because the golf ball dimples cause a turbulent boundary layer that stays attached farther around to the back of the ball, making a smaller turbulent wake , a smaller pressure drag coefficient, and less pressure drag force on the ball. If we had steel pellets with a "pocked" surface, I would think the same would be true. Maybe that's why I did so well with those cheap Win Xperts all those years........

JFG and Drakehammer like this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

And, none of those things are what kill ducks. Hits to the vitals kills ducks. Penetration is what matters.

That said, what are your patterns like with your factory chokes? Post up some pics so we can see em.

I read something from one of the big gun writers the other day. He said chokes change patterns by inches, and hunters miss birds by feet.

spaightlabs, Tuleman and Drakehammer like this.
  9. Jeremybittler

I just want extended tubes so if ducks are being smart and not decoying I can easily change chokes to hit them farther out

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Ahh. Valid reason. Heck, just liking the look of an extended tube is a valid reason. I did that on my Baikal.

Mueller makes good chokes. Lots of positive reviews. Is a shell specific choke more effective? Again, chokes affect hits by inches, not feet.

Reading choke threads for all these years, I learned that every gun/choke/shell combo will be different for different guns, even if everything is the same. You might spend 3X the money on a Mueller, and have the guy next to you shooting a Carlson, and he might get exactly the same result.

No matter what anyone else has experienced in their gun, the answer for your gun will be 'maybe'. The change will probably be less than 2%.

This is from the Carlson website on their crio blindside tube:
    This choke uses a special field-tested constriction and length to get the most from Blind Side® Ammunition’s new configuration. Carlson’s Blind Side® Choke Tubes allow Winchester® Blind Side® HEX Steel Shot and Diamond Cut Wad to do its job and helps deliver devastating downrange patterns.This choke tube performs equally well when used with other steel shot loads. Carlson’s Blind Side® Choke Tube is a proven performer on waterfowl using all steel shot loads over extended distances.This choke is also designed to shoot lead, plated copper and nickel shot, as well as all Hevi-Shot® ammunition with great results.

So, riddle me this....
    How can a choke be designed for a specific wad type, and yet work equally well for all other types of shells?

I shoot Carlson Sporting Clay tubes. They work fine.

Tuleman and Drakehammer like this.