Waterfowl choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Jeremybittler, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

:bow:bow:bow
    Symmetrically hexagonally dimpled tungsten spheres...oh my!!! Gotta change my shorts now.

2. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

Yup^^^. I shoot Carlson’s chokes for nearly all of my hunting shotguns. I’ve tried others and I always come back. I spoke with Shane not so long ago and he said exactly that...the difference in most of these shot-specific chokes is purely the constriction. He’s always been good customer service to me.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Who told you that?? It certainly wasn't a physics professor.......

Regardless, it's a moot point, as no one loads shotshells with hexagon shot. (a cube is not hexagonal).

Now, as far as choke tubes go, get the cheapest you can find. Odds are it will give you just as good patterns as the Muller's and its ilk.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

When you fellas have as many choke tubes as I have , tried ( or molested ) , I can tell you contriction and or taper does effect its design
    performance with all types of shot ! So when you get suckered into marketing gimmicks of shot shapes , you just as well try some different
    chokes ?

JP likes this.
  5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I have stuck with my Trulock Precision Hunter SKI for over two seasons now, and I won't even screw another choke in my gun. I seem to kill birds out past where the pattern shouldn't be good enough, but they drop with the requisite 3 or 4 pellets in the chest area and/or head neck. I'll just keep banging away with it, regardless of the shell size/type etc, as , by the empirical method, it seems to work, and the birds keep dropping out of the sky on a regular basis. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Drakehammer and Jeremybittler like this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I can say exactly the same thing about my Beretta extended choke that I bought on sale for $9.99 from Beretta USA. That choke/gun/load drops birds that surprise me.

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

OP,

Have you ever shot the Blindside cartridges on sea ducks?

Dunno how they'll fare for you as my observation on late season mallards over the decoys resulted in cripples that had to be reshot 9/11 times.

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

The design of the components in Blindside shells surely says , it's a shorter-range waterfowl load ?
    But , it could be a great over decoys load for a shooter , who would stay within those distances and drinks the kool-aid of marketing !

9. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

Believe me , a choke/load that will kill birds when they are "farther out" will also kill them when they are decoying . It all comes down to the ability of the shooter .

Tuleman likes this.
  10. Jeremybittler

Jeremybittler Refuge Member

But if you want a bird for mounting and you use a pass dmchokw on a decoying bird you may have nothing left