Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl club or weekly rental

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by ih2ofowler, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ih2ofowler

ih2ofowler Refuge Member

alright guys, here's my dilemma: I was thinking about buying a place up in Canada either Alberta or Saskatchewan. However, I'd only be hunting it once a week so not sure if it's worth the hassle. Yes I realize I could tow a trailer up there and stay at a hotel but reality is that it's a 40 hour drive for us and not real feasible. Also had some bad experiences with outfitters and don't want to drop $2500 to hunt for three days. Not really my thing. But it would be nice to hunt for a solid week and have a nice place to store decoys and a place to crash at night.
    My question is would anyone be interested in splitting a place, be interested in renting out the house for a week with your crew of guys (decoys and trailer included), or like to form a small "club" like setting where there's 10-15 guys that have access to the house year round for a nominal fee? Feel free to run with this thread or send me personal messages. Just throwing some feelers out there to see if this is do-able or just not feasible. Thanks and appreciate any input or feedback.

2. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Be sure to check laws regarding Americans owning propery in Canada. You might also be opening a big can of worms for tax issues here and there. Not trying to stiffle your idea, but sounds to me like you just need to find a good reliable outfitter or local contact up there you can count on.

3. ih2ofowler

ih2ofowler Refuge Member

Great points. Already looked into that stuff. Americans can own up to ten acres up there.

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Why not get to know some farmers in the area. When farms are bought and sold, a lot of times the homestead goes with them, and there can be a few houses that are empty within any given area. Find out who owns them and ask to rent them for a period of time each season, and the farmer can probably store your decoys for you as well (in your own trailer). I know of at least 3 groups of guys who do that up here. I have access to their decoys when they aren't up, so it works well for me too. I just clean them all up at the end of the season before storage, and I repair any broken stuff. Gives me access to another 4 dozen full body Canada geese and a few hundred snow goose shells (magnums).

ih2ofowler likes this.
  5. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

This is pretty easy to do w/ a little research. I have done it for yrs and have a place both in AB and SK. My group of 6 guys can all go together at the same time or in smaller groups or individually. We shared in the original cost of the gear and we have alot, and we share in the cost of gear additions and repair. If a core member runs a trip w/ like himself and and 2 of his buds, we charge the buds $250 each for gear maintenance and depreciation. Immediate family members there is no charge. The farmers that store our gear don't want our money but we do reciprocate by taking them modest gifts and take them to town for dinner.....PLUS our friendship! At both locations we rent lodging and and at one place we pay for breakfast and dinner($5 breakfast and $10 dinner). At one place we stay in the framer's home finished basement apartment that has couple bedrooms and bath/kitchenette.....$50 ea per week and the other place we rent a seldom used small farmhouse/cottage that has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and full kitchen for $200 wk for as many as 6 guys. Can't beat these prices. PM me if you would like more info.