Waterfowl date proposal

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by Kevin WI, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

I vastly prefer Saturday closest to September 24th or whatever it is now....there were little to no options to hunt in the northern 2/3 of the north zone again this year after about November 18th...ice fishing gun deer week.

Don't mind the 1 pm thing but keep on select areas like Mead...I can't see taking the pm hunt away from everyone all the time everywhere....

Especially With a condensed teal season I would rather the season open in mid late Sept for north zone. I can either way on the teal season all together, but what scares me is having the north zone open in October sometime and run till December would be foolish for the vast majority of Northland hunters.

pud123 likes this.
  2. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

I haven’t hunted the Mead in years but follow what they’re doing and what they are doing is working.
    The seasons are set for the average Joe who hunts a few weekends a season who would see more numbers and better hunting with rested birds.
    Most hunt clubs in the south implement a afternoon closure, why? answer truthfully now!

3. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

This is why for years I have been pushing for the north zone boundary to be moved to highway 8.
    While the true north is froze. By me there are huntable numbers well into December.

4. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

So then what happens Ruff later in the year where it is afternoon flights only due to cold weather? I have a hard time listening to guys who hunt 3-8 days a season pushing their agendas to make their hunts easier. For those of us that go every opportunity that presents its self why should we bow to the needs of the few? There is nothing wrong with hunting all day. Clubs down south do it because their access is totally different than ours. They try and establish refuges to keep ducks around. The open water and large amounts of access we experience here are not the same thing. Again, if the Mead works for you that is awesome. We have spots like that everywhere in the state that work for those that hunt them.

5. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

If that the case then why do most hunters go by the unwritten rule to not hunt a roost? It’s to keep birds around to hunt them more than one time.
    That would be the same result of a 1:00pm closure.
    Also if you look at my post again you will see I made no mention of LAND Just water. Hunt water in the morning and a field in the afternoon. But to keep birds around they need safe places to roost. With the fan boats and mud motors there are few places anymore a duck can go and not be harassed.

6. Wiscoduckhunt

If we make a north of hwy 8 zone which I am not against .... We Would have to have uniform opening dates. If we go to 4 zones, do we loose the ability to have splits??? I think we do. Making a very extreme north zone maybe problematic if they keep the Mississippi zone. I think WI lays out for a three zone system just not the Mississippi zone which basically will run concurrent with the southern zone.

7. Wiscoduckhunt

Not all of the state has crop fields. And I can't shoot certain species in crop fields ... I do hunt divers often .... I just don't see this as a good idea outside of select managed areas.... Seriously musky fisherman push plenty of birds around and off lakes up north .... Should we can pm fishing?

pud123 likes this.
  8. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

Below highway 8 would be in the southern zone. No additional zone would be created.

9. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

8 down to 10 is routinely froze out well before the southern zone closes. But hey whatever a deer hunter wants.

10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Whether it is September or December I shoot the roost and the decoys placed upon it.

goosenazi, Ratboy, take'm and 2 others like this.