Waterfowl date proposal

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by Kevin WI, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

I have never had trouble finding birds or places to hunt well after the season ends. Getting permission to hunt them because of all the Barnies have all but wrecked this area is another story.

Also quit acting like Toye,

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

But he doesn’t shoot other hunter’s birds? (Party hunts)

Ruff likes this.
  3. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

The very zone line you just proposed would effectively push out 98% of the birds well prior to the end of season. There is no question of that. Yes the Wisconsin and some of the other rivers will hold a limited amount of birds, but once the majority of water is solid your days are over. I'm not the one pushing for massive amounts of closures even tho I haven't hunted fowl in a couple of years, so the Toye comment is only partially true.

4. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

We could outlaw guiding on public lands...then I wouldnt even care what the season dates are as all the problems would solved!!!!!

Seriously though I am not a huge fan of the north opening on the 29th when we could have it on the 22nd, but I like the uniform opener ... We have been heading in a good direction with changes to shoreline hunting and the concealment rule....I don't know why exactly but the teal season has not really floated my boat ....

5. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

If you call hundreds of birds limited. I’ll take a later season for a chance at them.

I said before. I would gladly take the chance of being froze out knowing I seen the major push. Than to be sitting in the decoys goose hunting while flock after flock of mallards circles the set and only be able to watch because the season was closed.

6. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

The major push is always here gone by 2nd week of November. This is backed up by mountains of data. Science of duck migration is scary thing. It is crazy how birds migrate and far they can go in one plunge. It just looks like the major push comes late because the only open water is below the dam in town. Some Mallards will.work that freeze line back and forth all winter ... Mallards are only one species of many that we have the privilege to hunt...

goosenazi likes this.
  7. Chris Daniels

Chris Daniels Refuge Member

So why not make a Northern, Central, and Southern zone with each opener a week apart starting with Sept 22, then Sept 29, and finally Oct 6 would put closing dates hypothetically Nov 25, Dec2, and Dec 9 respectively for roughly a 60 day season? How is this not a win/win/win? Don't ask me where the splits would be cause I haven't thought that far ahead. Hypothetically of course, I don't believe they will change anything.

8. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

North, south, and Lake MI. With a State wide opener and the use of splits to extend seasons. The geography differences between the central and south are not great enough to warrent its own zone. Just as the Mississippi zone and the south. What good is a zone if it mirrors another zone?

goosenazi likes this.
  9. Chris Daniels

Chris Daniels Refuge Member

Where would the Lake MI zone be and how would that be set up? All I know is that hunting in the bottom tier counties in September is often a waste of time especially with a teal season, I would much rather have a first week of October opener.

marsh man dan likes this.
  10. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

I do know one thing, I’m tired of looking at all the ducks I can’t kill after the northern zone closes, and they are no where to be found till after north zone closes

goosenazi and phan6622 like this.