Waterfowl date proposal

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by Kevin WI, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

I must have missed them while I was ice fishing with three days of the season left ... How on Earth could of that happened.... I thought it was night but the sky was just black with ducks .....

You guys really crack me up .... I always take the bait though .... Jokes on me but there are guys who actually believe that the birds don't show up until like middle of December ... That is what is scary. Total duck numbers peak on or around first week of November .... There is a slug of mallards at the very end but nothing compared to what came through weeks earlier.

Kevin WI and goosenazi like this.
  2. Chris Daniels

Chris Daniels Refuge Member

I have no doubt duck numbers peak when you say they do but I also believe I have the opportunity to kill more ducks one week after the current Southern season closes than I do during the opening week. I can not speak for any Northern Zone activity because I haven't hunted it since I was in college.

marsh man dan and SB2MAG like this.
  3. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

Can I ask what county you are in? I'm in Lincoln.

4. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

I live in eau Claire... Own land in Vilas ... Have best good friends in point .... Of my days in field I spend 70% in Vilas , Onieda or Forest.... Hunt some by Eau Claire... Usually hunt a weekend down by Milwaukee yet as that is where I am from and we will visit family there.

Used to hunt Mississippi a fair bit and many friends still do but nothing about that is fun anymore.

Also my cousin picked up a place near castle rock and had some fun down there on weekend before gun deer.

I am lucky enough to hunt all over and have job where I can take many vacation days in fall. While I do get to hunt all over and eau Claire is a good spot to line jump .... My heart is in Northwoods.

Ruff likes this.
  5. Kevin WI

Kevin WI Moderator Moderator

Every moron in the state hunting ducks in half the state on opening morning. What could be bad about that opportunity?

I for one applaud going back to how it was at one time.....relieve pressure.

6. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

This is the southern zone every year

7. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

Seeing as how we all have our selfish reason for our season structure preferences here's mine. There is no good reason for the southern zone to ever open before the first weekend in October. Hell I'd like to see a 2 week split as well. That would carry duck season up to the end of the exterior goose season. Every year on the southeast side of the state the fields are swarming with mallards while I'm goose hunting and I can't do a damn thing about it.

snipe n and marsh man dan like this.
  8. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Yes you can, send Taylor an email saying that is what you want and show up at one of the meetings and tell him that. Also tell him you want to shoot two black ducks a day. Everyone else is doing it.

9. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

I feel bad for the people whose duck season are made/broken on the results of opening day.

10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

What pressure, I haven't seen another hunter on Lake Michigan since 2005. The few times I hunted the Bay last year I heard some shots in the distance and once I only saw one other boat and they were over a mile away.

Who's a bigger moron? The moron who never scouts and only hunts the same spot on public hunting land expecting it to be just as good as twenty years ago or the Moron who travels 200 miles to hunt public land expecting it to an awesome hunt without competition on opening day?

BTW, I'm the biggest moron, last year I worked on Northern opener and Hunted WY on Southern opener without scouting on federal land, on a pond, on the side of a mountain at 8,000 feet. Had a great hunt. My Nephew shot his first duck. The nearest duck hunter was probably 200 miles away. Moronic to say the least.

I hunted the last couple days of the Wisconsin season and it was really fun and better than any hunt you'd see on TV or DVD.