Waterfowl , Fish & Game......Recipes.

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by fishdog, Nov 1, 2016.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Deer Heart Sandwiches
    Cut deer heart into 1/4 inch slices. Marinate lightly or just salt and pepper.
    Heat olive oil in pan, sear the heart pieces until medium rare (will not take long). Toast bread and build sandwich with the heart slices, lettuce, mayonaise, and chutney.

2. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Pheasant with wild rice

Broke skinned pheasant down to 6 pieces. Salt and peppered.

heated olive oil in large skillet, added garlic and a small yellow onion.

Browned pheasant in pan then removed from pan. Deglazed with some white wine.

Added cup and a half of wild rice and slightly browned. Placed pheasant back into pan in wells I made in the rice.

Poured chicken stock in to almost top of pheasant, threw in some black olives. And covered. Simmered until stock almost gone.

Came out well

DBukiah likes this.
  3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Squirrel and Dumplings

3 gray squirrels quartered, 1 large yellow onion chopped, 2 stalks of celery chopped, salt, pepper, enough chicken broth to cover squirrels, onions, etc.

Cook squirrel and veggies in crockpot until the meat is fall off the bone tender.

Dumplings

2 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/3 cup vegetable shortening
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup of milk

Combine salt, flour, baking powder, and shortening. Add milk and mix until the dough becomes thick. Roll with rolling pin to about one inch thick, cut dough in to strips about 2 inches wide by 3 inches long. Add dumplings to boiling squirrel broth.

Enjoy

4. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

I just cooked this recipe up tonight....it was awesome. The combination of the fresh sage, Montreal seasoning and the prosciutto, made it taste very gourmet! 2 Thumbs Up!!

5. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Don't forget the Fontina!!! :grvn:grvn:grvn

6. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

Didn't forget the cheese, but those other flavors together are a great combination!

Flyfisher likes this.
  7. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

preaching to the choir... lol

8. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

I have some specs I'd like to smoke and use as appetizers for thanksgiving. Anyone care to share how they smoke birds? Prep, temp, and length would be much appreciated.

9. Quack_one_open

Quack_one_open Refuge Member

OK, time at rest is the secret to good duck breasts. Leave them sitting in the bird and in the fridge for a week or more. If I know they're shot up, I'll fillet after 7 days. If I figure they're not shot that bad, then a few more days in the fridge. This allows meat to start breaking down, which is awesome. Then marinate them in your sauce of choice, then, and this is SUPER important... before I grill, I pull them out of marinade and rinse and dry them . This gets the marinade off. Once they're dry, coat them with olive oil. This keeps the meat from drying out on the grill - oil won't stick to wet meat, so dry with paper towel. You get the flavor of the marinade, but the meat will stay moist. Lately I've been adding dry rubs on top of the oil, but that's not necessary, just something I do. NO need for bacon unless you just like eating bacon strips with your duck (pretty damn good, I must say). Sear at 450 on both sides for a minute or two, then move to indirect at 425-ish for a few more minutes until med-rare. I can't think of any meat that tastes better.

10. wtrfwlnut

wtrfwlnut Elite Refuge Member

Kinders Garlic Marinade...Skin on breasts on a hot grill for a couple minutes a side is all...Rest, slice...Even the girls and kids devoured it.