Texas Flyway Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl hunting in Texas?

Discussion in 'Texas Flyway Forum' started by WARTHOG, Nov 28, 2018.

1. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Elite Refuge Member

I have spent my entire corporate life in Colorado, but will retire at home in the Texas Hill Country. I grew up in Texas and did not move to Colorado until after college. I hunt ducks, geese, and Pheasant in Colorado and make annual trips to South Dakota for Pheasant and Saskatchewan for waterfowl.

I want to make it very clear that I am not asking for anyone's hunting spot, but just general information about waterfowl hunting in Texas.

I have a farm in the Lubbock area and I know that we occasionally get Sand Hill Cranes feeding on our harvested milo fields. It is cotton country and milo only gets planted on a rotational basis so this is hit and miss depending on the year. We do not have surface water on the farm, but I know that there is a large population of lesser Canada geese that roost in and around Lubbock and that there has got to be decent goose hunting in the area.

Is there decent duck hunting around Lubbock?

I also have a farm with a pond in the Wichita Falls area but I never see roosted up ducks and geese. The Quail and Dove hunting can be good, but I have no idea about the waterfowl hunting in the area.

Is there any good duck and goose hunting around north Texas in this area?

I know that there is duck and goose hunting around Eagle Lake and all along the coast around Rockport and Port Aransas. I know that there are several good lodges and outfitters in the rice and coastal areas that can be booked for hunting. I am proficient and do not need a guide, but am not against making a booking with an outfitter once or twice a year especially for Snow geese since I sold that trailer full of equipment many years ago.

Is there some area of Texas that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Blakely Young

Blakely Young New Member

There are some very good opportunities in the panhandle for duck hunting. Me and my grandfather used to go up for some really good duck and goose hunts.

WARTHOG likes this.
  3. WARTHOG

Thanks! I kind of figured that there had to be duck hunting in the panhandle, but good to hear from someone that has actually done it.

4. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Panhandle can be good from what I hear and the lakes in West Texas are finally mostly full. Wichita Falls area can also be good. There are some guide services out of there that do well and people from DFW help keep them busy. I hunt in North Texas, usually only one or two lakes, and it has been good so far this year. I don’t have the time or ability to scout three or four times a week, or a boat to get on the big lakes, so I walk in everywhere and it keeps me limited, but I do ok, depending on the year.

I’d say hunting in Texas is good, not great. I don’t know a lot about hill country duck hunting, though. East Texas is good.

WARTHOG likes this.
  5. WARTHOG

Thanks for the reply Duck_Hunter_TX! I do not have a boat either and do not hunt big water lakes. I hunt, marshes, sloughs, and dry grain fields where I live now and when I go to Saskatchewan. It is my impression that duck and goose hunting in the Hill Country has to be sparse at best because of lack of food source. Not that you could not have ducks or geese on a ranch pond for a day or two, but they have to have a food source whether it be milo, corn, wheat, rice, etc.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.