Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl season/bag limit set today

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Cold foot, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Cold foot

Cold foot Refuge Member

Commissioners decided this morning to go with a 107-day season (which includes the youth hunt) and a five duck limit with no more than one hen mallard. Also, no more one canvasback and one pintail limit in the bag.

Discuss quietly among yourselves, or feel free to yell and throw your hat on the ground and stomp on it. Whichever you prefer.

2. Jess Ducky

Jess Ducky Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Roger...I'll choose the screaming and hat stomping route:(

3. HuMMer

HuMMer Senior Refuge Member

Aww no way!!! There goes my chance at a Can this year!!! Gah!!!!

Seth-

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

You know what? I can live with a five duck limit if we get 107 days. I would rather have it this way than seven ducks but 87 days. I would rather have more days in the field and I was afraid that IDFG would go moderate season. And if I read your post right, coldfoot, it appears Cans are open again for the second year in a row.

I'm happy.

Did they mention dates? I am assuming it is the same dates posted on the questionnaire for the liberal season option.

5. BigBand

BigBand Elite Refuge Member

Did they give the season dates?

6. Bird Buster (BB)

Bird Buster (BB) Senior Refuge Member

So is that a no kill on cans and pinns or can you kill more that 1 this year???

7. Hambone

Hambone Elite Refuge Member

I can live with the 5 bird limit also and I'm glad we have the longer season. I'm confused on the can/pintail thing though. Is the season closed on cans/pintails or can we kill one? Coldfoot's language is a little confusing there.

8. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I'm hoping he is wanting to say, "no more THAN", as I sit here with a dozen canvasback decoys. I'd like the boys to get a chance to kill a can drake, I've no plans to kill another drake can,..........

unless of course one flies in close enough.;)

9. Cutt'emJack

Cutt'emJack Elite Refuge Member

I am confused with the 5 duck limit? In the guidlines it calls for a 107 day season with a 7 duck limit not more than 2 hen mallards for a liberal package.
    If they chose to go with the moderate package it called for an 86 day season still with a 7 duck limit but no more than 5 mallards and no more than 2 hen mallards.
    Is this just Idaho that has decided to go with a 5 duck limit?

10. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

You guessed it. If I remember right the season they have chosen was not even offered as a choice on their little poll. So why did they even waste my time??
    You are exactly right on your AHM frameworks. Idaho has simply decided to do its own thing. My concern isnt the limiit.........I actually hope for a 3 bird limit to weed some of the weekend warriors out. My concern is how they are going about it. Every piece of accepted biology says that in order to drop the harvest # you need to drop # of days. Most guys dont shoot a limit. Here is an example.....a guy hunts once a week on weekends . So in an 86 day season he hunts about 12 days. Say he averages 2 birds/ trip. That would make 24 birds for the year. Pretty safe estimates for the "average" hunter. But say the same guy gets 105 days. That gives him about 15 days x 2 birds= 30
    birds. Not that much difference until you multiply that by 25000 hunters. 25,000 x 6 birds each (difference between a 107 and a 86 day season)= 150,000 birds. :eek: The guy will average the same # of birds/day irregardless of the season length. Please explain to me how dropping the limit and keeping the days is going to "save the ducks". Show me how this benefits the ducks. It doesnt. Common sense should dictate otherwise.
    Its all "coffee shop biology" IMO. IDFG is ignoring the waterfowl hunter and all biological information they have at thier disposal.........thats what I have a big time issue with. Because some yuppy DU guy down at the coffee shop got in the ear of a IDFG commissioner all the biology went out the window. Just another piece of work from IDFG IMO:rolleyes:
    Dont get me wrong...I will love hunting those 105 days. I will just end up with far more "limits" this year. But this is a sham to make it appear that IDFG is doing something for the ducks.