Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl season/bag limit set today

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Cold foot, Aug 24, 2004.

1. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

DR. Dux-
    You summed it up nicely. Tom Hemker (IDFG waterfowl manager) and other staff members provided all the biological data and public input necessary to make a decision. The commission was informed that the other PFW states would be going the 107/7 route. All the info was given to the comm......they chose to ignore every shread of it. The ignoring of the data and doing what the hell they want is what has us ****ed off. As far as I can tell the staff at IDFG is not real impressed with the comm. I was even told by one staff member that the discussion almost became "unprofessional". I give credit to the staff for doing everything they could:tu The comm. needs to be fired though.

Duncan-
    Wow thats a surprise:rolleyes: :mad: Wouldnt you think that if weeds would grow in an area that a crop would also?? If it is really that simple why wouldnt IDFG lease out the property to a row cropper just to get a field in there and some water? Maybe I am an idiot on this point.....but the solution seems pretty simple to me.

DU guys-
    I have seen 3 DU projects. 2 of them in Idaho and 1 in SK. I have to say they are not impressive. Very few ducks using them and filthy. I dont want to bash DU too much but they need to worry more about cleaning their sites than they do about playing golf and drinking beer.
    I talked with Mr.Yake at DU today. He made it crystal clear that DU supports the federal guidelines as far as seasons go. He also told me that there should be no one affiliated with DU making statements on regulations in a public forum where they can be construed as DU's stance on the regulations. If I am a commissioner and I get a contacted by a DU chair that says he and members of his chapter think I am doing the right thing.......I can see where I would confuse that with DU support. When I am not around my contractors take my employees decisions as my decisions. The same thing applies to DU chapter chairs.

2. Redog

Redog Senior Refuge Member

On my previous post that I said I could live with only a 5 duck limit I did not realize that all the other states around us was staying with a liberal season. I assumed that this was a limit set by the Feds. Now that I see that this isn't the case I feel like we have really been short changed. And I am still trying to figure out for what reason like every one else is. Maybe this will stop a lot of out of state hunters from coming in when they see the limit on ducks. That will surly hurt the F&G pocket book. This is just plain stupid.

3. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

Redog-
    I think we can all live with a 5 bird limit and have a good time. I could live with a 3 bird limit.....I would gripe about the 5 minute hunts but I could live with it:yes This is personal at this point. Its about years and years of Commission abuse and the slow degradation of all hunting/fishing in this state. In my case; its the straw that breaks the camels back. In my view they are attacking the last family hunting tradition I have. I will not sit by and watch lawyers and farmers play biology any more.

4. DR. DUX

DR. DUX Elite Refuge Member

Guys, let me explain something about DU and wetlands projects. DU's goal and purpose is to protect as many wetlands for ducks as possible. Through this they hope they will have as many ducks as we can possibly have. Everything DU does is done to further that goal and nothing is done to hurt that.

DU doesn't do land managment. It restores, enhances and protects for long term wetlands. After a restoration someone else is left with the managment. On a public piece it is the state or feds. On a private it is the private land owner. DU doesn't get into land managment because it is very expensive and ultimatley deverts to many funds from their primary goal. DU does go back periodicly and check projects but just how do you recommend controlling mismanagement. Really there isn't a whole lot more you can do than remind the land manager of his side of the bargin and that he is falling short. Other measures are time and cost prohibitive. SO if the land is being managed poorly particularly on a public piece and that public entity is not holding up its side of the bargin as people living in that area it is up to you to hold these public employees accountable. A few of you can accomplish a heck of alot more than DU can in this reguard.

Oh and by the way in a recent survey of DU members 97% hunt or have hunted in the last 3 years. 95% own guns (wonder how those other 2% hunt). The only % of greater representation of the DU member is the number who drink. So who ever said that goofy PETA thing was way off. Perhaps someone can point me to the PETA SHOTGUN OF THE YEAR.

5. DR. DUX

Got another question. I read somewhere that ther were only 2 DU projects in Idaho and a link was made to the DU state fact sheet. Now maybe you guys count different in Idaho but I get 24.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Dux, are you a WWA member? Seems like that is the kind of organization that an IWA would be patterned on (see related thread).

Is that a good place to look for ideas? Are any WA Refuge Gang members officers of the WWA?

7. DR. DUX

Hayden,

It's probably pretty obvious I'm a DU volunteer and have a good understanding of how they do what they do And I feel very confident in saying that nobody does for duck habitat what DU does, nobody. However to do what they do for habitat they can not get involved in alot of hunter advocacy and this is where I love Waterfowl Assossciations. I can't tell you how many folks I send to WWA here in WA who want DU to do more advocacy. DU can't do much advocacy because it hurts there ability to do there primary mission which is wetlands conservation (I could go into a long disortation and history lesson of how DU learned this the hard way and why it says way from advocacy but trust me in that its hard to have divided goals and purposes in one organization). Thank goodness there are waterfowl assossciations like WWA which are the advocates for the hunter. I wish we could have an group that is all things to everyone but it just doesn't work as one pursuit works against the other destroying an organization.

My recommendation to Idaho would be make your IWA a strong advocacy organization and the political voice of the Idaho duck hunter and let DU keep doing your conservation work because the 67 years DU has done what its done allows them to take every dollar you give to the ducks and turn it into $20. Nobody else can do that for habitat.

8. Redog

Redog Senior Refuge Member

Seal,
    I totally agree with you. The more I learn about how these things are decided upon the scarier it gets. So am I too assume that we still don't have a sound reason why the limit was cut to 5? Just some commisioners whim? Like I said I thought this was all figured out from some sound biological facts. What a joke. But I think the jokes on us. Do we pay these guys to come up with this stuff?
    Dr. Dux,
    Thanks for clarifying the role of DU a little better. I know that DU has gotten some bad press in the past but any organization as large as DU is going to have its nay sayers. Like you said they can't be all things to everbody.

9. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

Redog-
    The commissioners are compensated. Interesting though.....how much do you think comes out of our license fees to pay Tom Hemkers salary only to be ignored by them. How bout the biologists on staff that do habitat assessments to bring to the commission. These guys have stepped way out of line.
    They took absolutely no recommendations from the feds or their own biologists. Basically wasting a bunch of time for Hemker and others which translates into quite a few $$ of license fees wasted. As we all know.....the season they came up with wasnt even an option whent they opened it up to public comment. So all the internet polls and "town meetings" were a waste of time and money. They sure are good at wasting my money and not answering the phone. :(

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Dux, thanks for coming on and explaining DU's primary role: habitat restoration. It sounds like what you are saying is that the political action arm of the hunting community is what is better served by groups like the CWA, WWA and hopefully, the IWA.

Guys, in case you don't know it (Dux won't toot his own horn), DR DUX is the current state chairman of DU in WA. I have seen him put up hundreds (thousands?) of intelligent posts on the WA Forum before he got tapped for that job. He not only talks the talk, but he has walked the walk.

Although you will find varying opinions among Idaho Fugers of DU, I appreciate Dux coming on this state forum to provide some insight.