Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl season/bag limit set today

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Cold foot, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Pinman

Pinman Elite Refuge Member

Tgun, I am with you. But one thing is for sure. If we do not get our voice heard as sportsman this will be just the start!

(Insert smile and joke Darin. Check PM) ???? Checked and No pm was this for 7??

Pinman

2. JRay

JRay Senior Refuge Member

Utah followed the federal recommendations, based on the spring surveys, and adopted a 107 day season/7 bird limit.

3. TMDECOYTGUN

TMDECOYTGUN Senior Refuge Member

Sorry bout that....

TGUN

Thanks JRAY.... salt in the wound... but we understand... thanks for the update

4. Jess Ducky

Jess Ducky Elite Refuge Member

Maybe this will help dispell the myths...Idaho DU Projects

5. HuMMer

HuMMer Senior Refuge Member

Not to bash on DU, but I just got back from Roswell. I had heard through the grapevine that it was being refilled. So I took the time to go out there and scout around. This is what I saw.

Nothing but weeds!
    [​IMG]

Dry as a bone.
    [​IMG]

Just a couple of years ago it was this.
    [​IMG]

I have talked to F&G, and they say they just don't have the money. Well, I am pretty sure DU has the money, and thier name is on the sign. Where are they???

Seth-

6. TMDECOYTGUN

TMDECOYTGUN Senior Refuge Member

Good photos, neat shots...but, in all honesty, I think that we need to start a separte thread that talks HONEST and OPEN about DU and what DU has done for the state. I honestly think that there is much much more to the ROSWELL MARSH issue than meets the eye. Water in this DESERT, and might I remind people we do live in a desert that water for such projects can be difficult to acquire. As selfish as i can be about ducking at times, there might me more inportant issue for the water in Roswell than we know about, Just a hunch.... anyone really know why?

With that said, I think that there are pro's and con's and with the information that JD added we could have a CONSTRUCTIVE and EDUCATED DISCUSSION about statediw DU efforts, Good or Bad. ( I am open minded to their efforst and will listen despite what you might think....)

So, might I suggest a separate thread that talks about it there and lets keep this thread open to the outstanding discussion that has been focused and extemely important to the season bag limits and dates..... just a thought...

Peregrine?

TGUN

7. Hambone

Hambone Elite Refuge Member

Hummer,

What were you guys doing out there in that last picture - ice fishing?? :l

8. DR. DUX

DR. DUX Elite Refuge Member

What a second, let me see if I understand this. Now USFW did its counts and had their council meeting and used the ADH Managmant system to recommend that a liberial package be allowed for the 2004-2005 hunting season(107 day and 7 ducks for the PF).

Now each state can limit themselves beyond what the feds allow and a few squeaky wheels got to your commission and conviced them that dispite the scienfic evidence more restriction was necessary and the commission caved to the opinion of a few and did it (geez I thought that only happened in WA).

Maybe this is a stupid question but didn't the director of the Idaho F&G or any of the I F&G biologist's give an opinion to the Game Commission on this? Wasn't there opinion asked? I would think they would have the strongest voice in this decission and I can't see the commission going against there recommendation.

Before you go blaming everyone under the sun you might want to take a look at what's happening in your own back yard. Before I went pointing fingers I would want to make sure that the most influenctial voices with the commission were ignored, then I'd be asking why. Somehow I got the feeling that your problems are alot closer to you than a national wetlands conservation organization which by the policy made by the volunteer lead and controled board of directors does not get involved with any regulation creation.

9. Duncan

Duncan Senior Refuge Member

Here's what I know about Roswell Marsh. When I saw the marsh dry as a bone last year I asked some of the upper crust DU folks what they knew about it. I don't want to mention names because they are not here to comment themselves.

They had no idea why Roswell was not being watered but told me they would find out, That same night I got the answer. While yes DU's name is out there and they did put money into the ground, Roswell is managed by Fish & Guts. In the contract that IFG has with the water conservation district they are only obligated to provide water if there is a crop out there to irrigate. Since there is no planted crop the water folks cut off the flow.

DU did not drop the ball on this one, IFG did. Whether it was because of lack of funding or oversite I do not know.

10. HuMMer

HuMMer Senior Refuge Member

I went out last year and saw that they had plowed out something like 2 or 3 acres and it looked read for corn. I have pictures of that too. Now this year, that whole area they had plowed, is full of weeds. This place hasn't been touched since last year. So they started, but then just left it.

Sorry if this has gotten everyone off topic.

Seth-