Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl Season

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by goosepond, Jul 20, 2015.

1. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Just looked at the F&G website and see that the season(s) will be set at the August 11 Commission meeting. Most likely will be what it has been in past couple of years, but, no information or recommendations on season were posted other than what F&W may adopt. I am guessing that if anyone has any recommendations other than what the season has been, it would be time to get them in.

Season will be here before you know it :).

2. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Ok folks, so no one has posted up any comments here as to the waterfowl seasons for 2015-2016. I would imagine most were of the same opinion as I was and that there would not be any changes. Well guess what, Fish and Game is proposing some drastic changes to the season for particularly Zone 2, East Idaho and the panhandle. You need to go to the Fish and Game website and they are asking for input by August 7. I hope there are a lot of hunters post comments on this as it is a change from what we all were told would not be any change for at least 5 years but I thought it was a 10 year plan. Now they want to change it and yet they don't give any reason for the change. So, here is the link for comments. Good luck folks.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/media/viewNewsRelease.cfm?newsID=7764

3. gary s.

gary s. Elite Refuge Member

i for 1 love the later season dates.:amen

4. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

I'm in area 3. Love the proposed season!!!

5. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

6. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

The problem is that SW Idaho should not have the same season structure as Eastern Idaho and I have told the F&G and their waterfowl manager that on several different occasions.

Its great that they have the season later over there. That makes sense. But it makes zero sense over here. So frustrating that they don't listen.

PS - The very information they referenced was the survey they did to set a five year framework (2012-2016). So WTH is driving a new change before the end of the 5 years?

7. DoveMan

DoveMan Senior Refuge Member

Agree 100%, but for Northern Idaho for me.
    Last 4 years I have asked IDFG in comments how many kids and women are hunting in the last week of the season? If you wanted to introduce a kid or your wife in to waterfowling, would you take them out on a 55 degree morning in early October for teal and honkers, or a 0 degree morning at end of January for goldeneyes and mallards? Believe me, I love the late season, but it is for the hardcore ones of us mostly. Personally I love to watch the migration unfold; from the first teal, woodies, and early arriving geese down to the last of the northern greenheads and goldeneyes.
    I hunt in the Clearwater region, and we have plenty of birds to entertain us in the first weeks of October. By late December the majority of our standing water that birds use is 4" thick.
    The last few years I would have preferred a 1st weekend in October opener, but IDFG gave us the 2nd weekend - fine - I can manage. Now they want to move it another week back? Why?
    What was wrong with the structure we had a few years back where SW Idaho had its own zone? A limited number of hunters would drive out from the SW zone to hunt the earlier zone opener. No big deal. A little extra pressure, but I didn't have to spend another week ice fishing while the duck season was still open in January.
    And yes, I do travel to other areas to hunt, but with families and full-time jobs, a guy can't always drive 3-6 hours away to hunt when his backyard is frozen solid.
    I know most of you guys on here are in the Treasure/Magic valleys, but can you see where your fellow hunters in other areas are coming from?

I'll be letting IDFG know where I stand, but as a minority in a low duckhunter number area(Clearwater region), it will probably fall on deaf ears.

Side question - does anyone here really know why they are doing this this year, when that survey was done 3 years ago? I guess I must have missed a comment period they had on the last 2 years structure after they did the first "random" survey?

8. birdhntr

birdhntr Senior Refuge Member

Seems like Zone 1 and 2 should be the same for ducks at least. I like the later season for Zone 3 but they also moved the youth season back a week in those zones as well which now conflicts with the youth pheasant opener. We need more opportunities for youth in this state, not less and this doesn't help that.

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

There is no way to please everyone with the way the zones are set up. But as a Panhandle guy we usually sit through the doldrums of October after the first week-10 days while more often than not we see the season end while birds are still around. We have the hardcore clothing, boats, snow covers for the layouts, etc., so I say bring on the later season. I voted for the later start. Sorry to all you fellas this impacts.

10. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

HH

Your post just further suggests what I have been trying to get through the F&G for several years now. There is absolutely no reason that there can't be a handful of waterfowl zones in this state to allow the seasons to be set to what works best for the particular area. Good grief we are 400 miles from the panhandle and twice the elevation. We should have different season structures.

Steve