Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Waterfowl Season

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by goosepond, Jul 20, 2015.

1. perch head

perch head Senior Refuge Member

Ok, the youth waterfowl hunt has always been 2 weeks before the regular opener. This gives the birds a chance to settle down before the regular opener. As far as pure laziness, I am a mentor for the youth waterfowl hunt and have been for many years. I helped select blind sites last week, found another great mentor. I have lined up a retriever demo for the youths, and we do a BBQ and a duck call giveaway from Cabellas. My apologies for being a slacker.

2. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

super good on ya for taking out the youth... I used to do this with Kids also, but now my daughters are of hunting age so now my focus is on them... I have a feeling that I am not going to get any sleep friday night as I am so pumped up to get up in the morning and take my girls out on the youth hunt...

3. perch head

perch head Senior Refuge Member

That is great, I'll be taking the camera and will post up some photos. The smiles I have seen with these young hunters first ducks makes it all worth while. Plus they get to watch my girl Teal whine and shake with excitement.

Jacob Hyer likes this.
  4. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Bump up. Look on page 3 to see IFSteve's response/talk with Jeff Kenetter about the season approach and what can work as a win win for everyone. Also, here is a link to what Fish and Wildlife Service is allowing nation and flyway for consideration. It is much earlier than in years past. http://www.fws.gov/home/feature/2015/pdfs/Proposed-frameworks-2016.pdf It's long but, you can do a find/search for Idaho and/or Pacific Flyway and find our info.

5. Excaliber

Excaliber Elite Refuge Member

I'm here in 3(Ada) and I'll take as late a season as they can give us. The geese are showing up later every year.

6. birdhntr

birdhntr Senior Refuge Member

Are you the one who set the season? Did I say anything about you taking out youth hunters? I do the same thing. I was suggesting in my post that the reason the commission was lazy is that they set the youth waterfowl the same weekend as the youth pheasant. As far as I'm concerned youth hunting opportunities in this state are very limited and this past season this issue eliminated one of those opportunities. They should of left the youth waterfowl opener on the same date as the year before which would of given 3 weeks of time between the youth season and the regular opener but then again you said it yourself since it's always 2 weeks before that the way it needs to be. Lazy?

7. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

Ditto what Excaliber said!

8. all fowled up

all fowled up New Member

X2 what Excaliber posted. As late into January as the Feds will allow us in SE Idaho also please and new boundaries for the SE part of Area 1 if possible.

9. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Not to pick on some of you but your posts are way to generic. You can not say you want things like "as late into January as the Feds will allow us in SE Idaho....and new boundaries for SE part of Area 1...." Make a comment like that to the F&G and what are they supposed to do with it?
    1. The latest possible closure allowed by the USFWS for us is January 31.
    2. The area around the Fort Hall Reservation which is who drives their season is going to be the early opener.
    3. That drives the season for Zone 1.

So if you want SE Idaho to be the latest closure (which means the latest opener) then what you need to comment is for Zone 1 to be made as small as possible. Ya'll know that I don't agree with that and in fact want the opposite. But there is perhaps a alternative that may allow good compromise. Unfortunately we no longer have a good way to reach any kind of overall group thought to then take to the F&G. The IWA provided such a tool but alas......

So here is what I am thinking. Why not define Zone 1 as Bingham and Bonneville Counties and North (and lands in the Fort Hall Reservation) as Zone 1. Give them the early season. Leave the rest as Zone 2 and the later season. Best I can tell the only drawback to this is that the F&G will squack a bit on not having the buffer zone around some of the Res that they do now. I frankly think that is a very poor excuse. If a hunter doesn't know if they are on or off the Res then let them deal with the ticket.

10. all fowled up

all fowled up New Member

I agree with you 100 percent! It's my responsibility to know whose property I'm hunting on and the same goes for the reservation boundary. I like and support the solution you came up with and as for the late as possible I was refering to I am under the assumption that the season will either end on the last Friday of the season or the last weekend even if the 31st falls later than either one so thank you for clarifying. I then would encourage the powers to be to end the season on Jan. 31. every year.