Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

WATERFOWL SITE GUIDE GPS vs. Description and site number.

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by torrentduck, Jan 14, 2018.

1. torrentduck

torrentduck Senior Refuge Member

Being lazy and did not search forums for previous post: anyone else note that many of waterfowl site numbers (esp. Elk River area, Sand Islands, and others) do not jive with the listed GPS numbers? Did some plotting on google maps and while the blind sites come up at the GPS coordinates, the number is not correct based on the guide provided on DNR website. This would be a real issue if you call in for a lottery based on number (and show up at site with a party already there). I sent an email to to Gwynnbrook office asking for clarification. Am I missing something obvious here?

2. jbennett

jbennett New Member

Can you please call Gwynnbrook to let them know what the issue is? They have not received your email.
    The number is 410-356-9272

It's possible that the sites were numbered incorrectly by the park staff that puts them out. It will likely be easier to sort out via a phone call than over email anyway.

-jim

3. torrentduck

I will try to do that today. My email went to the contact address on the DNR website. Again I will try to call them from work. It looks like there is no site number 25 on the document and the sites after that are all off by one number in terms of the description versus number. At least that's what I think might be happening. Again I will try to contact them today when I am at my computer I can actually pull up the information. I'll reply something back on the refuge when I get a chance.

Before I call them though. Did you contact them or do you work with them? Are they going to even have an idea what I'm calling about or do I need to start from the beginning? Thanks
    Don

4. jbennett

jbennett New Member

If you sent it to the customer service email it may take a few days to get to the right person.
    I work with them and they will know what you're talking about when you call. Candice is the person you want to talk to.

jim

5. torrentduck

OK. Got off phone with Candice. Very helpful. Basically --- USE MAPS WHEN CALLING IN TO RESERVE SITE (not the list of sites with coordinates and descriptions). The sites have not changed in years. The coordinate errors are possibly several years old (maybe 3 or 4) and Candice said they would be updated. I am relatively new to the area so likely the guys that hunt the sites have known them by numbers for years and don't use the coordinates to get there or to book. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't find myself arguing in the dark with another party about who belongs where. In the future the site numbers and coordinates should jive. Hope this helps the collective.

mdmallard likes this.