Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Waterfowler's trophy room

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by nebs, Apr 15, 2006.

1. TheWaterfowler

TheWaterfowler Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Have 3 Knob-bills. Two belonged to my friend and mentor Dr. Chubby Andrews that I used to hunt Beaver Dam with before he passed away. Most Torrents are killed by spot and stalk along the rivers in Peru as I hear.

As many ducks as I have killed and been with in Argentina I've only seen two hybrids and two mutations.

This YBPT/WCPT is one I killed about 5 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The WCPT on left was flying with the hybrid.

[​IMG]

2. Oak apple

Oak apple Senior Refuge Member

I think it's cool how the cheek came out really good and didn't mess with too much of the beauty of that yellow billed. Do you have any knob billed in your collection I haven't seen a good picture of one I would love to see one. I have not seen any stellars in your collection do you have any?

3. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

Truly amazing.
    It took me almost 4 days to go through this one thread. Hour or two a day, means I spent almost 8 hours on this one thread only.
    And I loved every bit of it.

Waterfowler, you are a true outdoorsman.

Out of all the birds you have, I haven't seen or read about one particular bird. I did read one post around page 35 that asked.

What about Coots?

You mentioned harvesting and taxidermy of other 'rails', but not the best one of all.

4. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

Beautiful trophies! Loved looking through this :tu

5. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

What I like most about your room (and I hope this comes off right) is the fact that you have the hunting pictures that correlate with the hunt under the mounts. Very cool!!
    If the time comes and you go to the great big goal posts in the sky, they need to move the waterfowl department of the Smithsonian to your house pal!!! - Nash

6. TheWaterfowler

Thanks, my boys will have a lot of decisions to make for sure. Hopefully I will have my last addition done next spring to take care of the overflow. Pictures are just as important to me as the mounts as it keeps the memories alive. Migrations are coming and my winter love is getting rekindled and look forward to our opener. Good luck in Florida and have a safe season.

Waterfowl fool likes this.
  7. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

As the still bodies of water ice over and our rivers start to flow with slush, only a few stubborn Canadas and swans remain and our season is effectively over. It was a great season and despite the gloomy forecasts there were plenty of juvy snows around, not as many as normal, but still tons of birds. The ducks were late but huge flocks did eventually arrived and are currently headed your way. Good luck to you, im jealous your season is yet to come. ;)

8. TheWaterfowler

Been a while since I've been here obviously.

Tystix, which Rail do you consider the best? Just curious. For me it's the Pukeko, but that's just me.

Oak apple, I've got plenty of Steller's, 11 or 12 last count. Shot a lot before they closed. They were in huge flocks on the Alaskan Peninsula and also Kodiak back in the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 2n1shot

2n1shot Senior Refuge Member

I've already told my wife that we have to do whatever it takes to keep it intact. She understands. Stephen and I are on the same page about it as well.

10. TheWaterfowler

Nice to know, I'll rest easy knowing that over 50 years of waterfowl hunting will stay together.

Frog Lips likes this.