Watergrass?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by bojingles, Sep 28, 2017.

1. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

IMG_4181.JPG IMG_4182.JPG IMG_4183.JPG hi guys. We normally hunt rice but this year we are fallow and while I know how to identify smartweed and other duck food I've heard a number of different theories on what this is. Located in California Central Valley. Below are pics of the same plant dried out and others with water on it. As soon as we threw water on it it greened right up. In the fields that were owed it greened up and even re-headed out after flooding it with a few inches of water. Thoughts? Watergrass?

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Yep, and good stuff too.

3. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

Thanks JFG--the ducks certainly seem to think so--although I think they have been eating more bugs then anything with the fresh water--crickets everywhere

Mix of the watergrass and some smartweed in the field in the video--our club probably has about 400 acres of really thick what you seem to be confirming as watergrass which I understand to be good duck food so hoping for a good season

4. SutterduckHunter

SutterduckHunter Elite Refuge Member

IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1845.jpg The pic with the buck in it is right before we put water on my field in 2015. It was waist high watergrass in Yolo County. We flooded it at the end of November. The pic with my kids was the second week of December. The wigeon were going nuts for the stuff! Im back in the same boat again this year and my watergrass is 5'-6' tall this time. You should be excited to hunt that stuff, way better than rice.

JFG and bojingles like this.
  5. SutterduckHunter

SutterduckHunter Elite Refuge Member

IMG_3169.JPG IMG_3168.JPG Updated pic's of my field. We mowed some channels in it this past weekend. Hoping the greenheads come to it like a candy store. We will start water in about 2-3 weeks. I'm thinking we might have trouble with cripples in the thick stuff.