Waterproof trolling motor for homemade ice eater

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Mike Perry, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

What is this "ice" stuff of which you speak? It never freezes in NC...

2. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

Yep

Dan

3. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

It will not work it is golf balls to bowling balls. The ice eater is the bomb.

4. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

You sell ice eaters??? Any thing that moves water will work. Try a six inch trash pump if you want to open a hole fast.

5. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Give me a little more info on the sump pump. I had an ice eater die and I saved the can hoping I could find a submersible motor. Are you deconstructing the sump pump and using the motor. I'm not sure how one of these sump pumps work.

6. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

We used a 1 3/4 outlet sump pump.Put it in a 5gal bucket under water and set at a 45 degree angle.
    Put a 6in nipple on the discharge side of the pump and plug it in.
    We had a regular ice eater and one of these.The sump pump worked just as good if not better.
    We used them in flooded corn at two different spots.Never could tell the difference between the two.

It was a 1hp pump and it could have been a 2in outlet.I can't remember for sure.Depending on the water depth the angle may have to be adjusted.

Dan

7. LA in ATL

LA in ATL New Member

When the ponds in Alabama/Georgia freeze (really- it has happened) we used higdon pulsators and a 2 strings of heavy decoys (burlapped ducks or goose floaters on jerk cords. If you are careful and break the ice into several large pieces, and push these under the unbroken ice outside the desired hole, it can work for an hour or longer. The time we broke the ice into small pieces we had a slushee in no time, but retrieving birds helped keep the water moving. Have plans to go to north west Tennessee this January and will probably get to see a real ice eater in action.

8. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Show up early with a chainsaw and some fishing gaffs to slide ice. Elbow grease is free and keeps you from getting fat.

9. Duckkiller14

Duckkiller14 Refuge Member

We make one using a trolling motor and bucket worked great theses a video on my IG account wingman boats work fine

10. CapnJim

CapnJim Refuge Member

Like the sarcasm.
    Last season on Currituck, Perry Wood suggested we might want to start packing up when the 4 X 4s staring snapping like toothpicks at the end of the blind. The ice was piling up.
    After dropping us on the hill, he went back out and zig zagged for no telling how many hours to move the ice and save the blind. This was somehow after he started the day getting from point A (Walnut Island) to Point B (Poplar Branch landing) by boat. While we were at the landing waiting that morning, we watched 5 different groups try to leave out only to turn around after their futile attempts to get out.
    A little while later, there is a fool on top coming full bore toward the landing. One of the guides, shouted to the rest that Perry Wood was that fool. Guess who all followed him back out after loading us? What a day......................

LA in ATL likes this.