WDFW Answers through the WAG 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by john4wdh, Aug 8, 2017.

1. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Believe me, there are times you might as well go home when 95% of what drops in are PTs. I'd rather go home with two ducks than one.

2. wingmatt

Count me as one that disregards it as BS. "What I don't understand, is the complaining" ... there have been many regs over the years I may have not quite agreed with. But this one is takes the cake.

3. RXHzfx

RXHzfx Senior Refuge Member

Takes the cake?!?! NO! the spinner restriction takes the cake!!! Ha ha...

Who benefits from the restriction? Who and why would they manipulate data?

The same people that allow us now to shoot 6 whites plus 4 darks? The ones that lifted the cackler limit?

I could see manipulation of data if it meant someones funding for their job was in jeopardy... could be?

Spencer5100 likes this.
  4. wingmatt

"Takes the cake?!?! NO! the spinner restriction takes the cake!!! Ha ha..." I assume that is off-the-wall humor??? You can use as many spinners as you like. You can even use powered ones as long as you remove the battery.

"Who benefits from the restriction? Who and why would they manipulate data? Do they have to benefit from making dumb restrictions???" Maybe they are locked into their windowless rooms too long?

"The same people that allow us now to shoot 6 whites plus 4 darks? The ones that lifted the cackler limit?" I imagine it's the same people. Wherever the dart lands on the dart board! Did they also get rid of the punch card for the white geese, or do they still want their money from that special "tag"?

"I could see manipulation of data if it meant someones funding for their job was in jeopardy... could be?" I'm not sure how much funding they get. Do they get the proceeds from fines when people go over their PT limit?

Look, you can believe their mumbo jumbo if you like. And I won't. I wish it was possible for those making the decision to actually drive around during hunting season in WW. They are welcome to come along with me. I can show them samples of these "low numbers of PTs!"

5. DR. DUX

DR. DUX Elite Refuge Member

Ummmm just to clarify the WA commission under the advisement of the new Waterfowl Chief liberalized the goose limits.

The Feds restricted the Pintail limit. They used the best science available to do that and personally I can't ask for more.

Further in John's post the WDFW Chief explains the circumstances, challenges, and science of it. Which is actually a pretty cool thing.

The most current science points to the fact that Pacific Flyway pintails aren't Flyway specific in their breeding population meaning ultimately they will be managed continentally. Until something else is found scientificly this isn't going to change. What is important to understand is there has been a decent amount of funds dedicated to proving pintails are Flyway specific. Unfortunately what they found is......they aren't.

So you are left with accepting this is what it is or providing or advocating for even more money being dumped into getting more data (though that approach doesn't garuntee the result you are looking for as others have found).

john4wdh and Wareagle1 like this.
  6. RXHzfx

Thanks Dux... Always appreciated your knowledge... And it's something we should hash out as a group because it does bring out data and insight from others, such as yourself...

What we see, when we are hunting here, in the wintering time, in WA state... is not a representative sample to the overall objective of a positive breeding population NORTH of us during SPRING...

that's what we are to believe given the information...

Spencer5100 likes this.
  7. wingmatt

That sentence didn't make sense? The hordes of PT we see here aren't representative of the breeding population NORTH of us during spring?????? Where are they "representative" of?

8. RXHzfx

They are congregated, massed, en force, in WA for wintering!!! Those numbers are NOT congruent with breeding ground populations and goals, which area is much greater than our small state!!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  9. wingmatt

Thanks for making my point! :tu :tu

...... We should be forcing the other flyways to reduce their gadwall limit to 1 per day. I mean, we are allowed 7, yet I've never seen more than 2 or 3 in a season. Or maybe ruddy ducks ....... in 30+ years of hunting I've never seen one!!

Billy Bob likes this.
  10. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Matt I feel like you are basing your opinion on a very limited area of hunting. I shoot a handful of gadwall every year and can shoot 7 ruddy ducks any day I want till December but I have only ever killed 1 good drake pintail. Just because your area sees a higher than normal average of a certain bird doesn't mean it's the standard for the state. It's a bummer that we can't shoot two but I would rather see a healthy population than blasting away at them.

Constructeur, RXHzfx and john4wdh like this.