WDFW Answers through the WAG 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by john4wdh, Aug 8, 2017.

1. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

But my point is a very large area of W Wa has very large numbers of pintail. There have been various differences in how E and W rules are set up (i.e. dark geese hunting days, or the difference in Goldeneye requirements). So I don't mind a gadwall or ruddy duck restriction on the west side, and you guys maybe should have a restriction on pintails.

The bottom line is nobody is going to listen. And I won't get any flyway council members to ride around with me to see these "low" numbers of pintail.

2. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I believe the Pintail limits were set by the Feds not state so comparing it to the goldeneye limit is moot. If you compare your very large area of W Wa to the Pacific Fly it isn't very large at all.

RXHzfx and Wareagle1 like this.
  3. wingmatt

The bottom line is nobody is going to listen. And I won't get any flyway council members to ride around with me to see these "low" numbers of pintail.

BB'sRosie likes this.
  4. EWUEagles

So do you really believe that the council doesn't know about the population of pintails in a very small area of Western Washington? I get that people on the coast (and some parts of Cali) see more pintails than most people do but I still don't get how you believe that should dictate a harvest limit for a HUGE area of the pacific flyway. If I'm missing something please let me know, I'm always up for learning something new. I understand how they do surveys and I believe I have a basic knowledge of how that effects harvest limits.

RXHzfx likes this.
  5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

RXHzfx and john4wdh like this.
  6. wingmatt

Are you saying Pacific Flyway numbers are down? I find that hard to believe. I thought they decided that someone in a Mt or Central flyway was short on PTs??

Btw, DU put out info summarizing duck totals. Interesting, overall Pintail numbers are up 10% over the already high numbers of last year. Percent from the long-term average is down, but that doesn't explain their changes of limits over the last decade.

upload_2017-8-15_21-28-36.png

7. EWUEagles

Thanks Matt for pointing out that northern pintail are 27% BELOW long term average.

I never said Pacific Flyways numbers were low. I was clearly pointing out that you believe numbers should be based on where you hunt and the numbers you see not numbers as a whole. Just like Dr. Dux said and HaydenHunter pointed out Pintails are flyways specific they are managed based on all the flyways, which makes what one person sees in one area not important.

Lastly, I believe limits are set on last year counts and not on this year counts. Looking at 2016 counts pintails had a 14% decrease in numbers from 2015 which I'm sure lead to the decrease in limits. With such a big jump this year it wouldn't surprise me if they up the number of pintails next year but that is just an assumption.

RXHzfx likes this.
  8. DR. DUX

DR. DUX Elite Refuge Member

Correct, seasons are now set in March based on last years counts. So this number plus results from Mid Winter counts will determine next season.

This is the new timing of season setting (which a majority of hunters requested to better plan their upcoming seasons...travel).

RXHzfx and EWUEagles like this.
  9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have two friends, who are pretty active waterfowlers. Until last year, neither had killed a pintail in MT. One got his first last year. The other was like a little kid when he killed on in SK last year. Still hasn't in MT.

I have been here over 10 years. I think I have killed maybe 5.

10. RXHzfx

RXHzfx Senior Refuge Member

seasons are set based off breeding ground surveys correct?!?!