WDFW Answers thru the WAG 2012-2016

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by john4wdh, Jun 19, 2012.

1. DR. DUX

DR. DUX Elite Refuge Member

Provide input in seasons and regulation

Review and recommend duck stamp projects

Oversight of duck stamp program

Education to the public

Liaison between the hunting community and the WDFW

2. DR. DUX

There is a mission statement on the WDFW website I believe.

3. DR. DUX

4. john4wdh

john4wdh Elite Refuge Member

Maybe I missed it on this link [and in a follow-up general search of the entire WDFW website], but where are the published minutes of each WAG meeting we were promised, good Dr.? :scratch :scratch

5. DR. DUX

Yet another good question to ask.

Looks like they do have a spot to access them but nothing is there.

Although I wouldn't be surprised that a level or 2 above who we deal with decided that wasn't going to be done.

6. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

So Dr Dux or John A are the meetings still open to the public? If so where is the next meeting?...the link lists a 2014 meeting?? Also is the member list up to date on the web site?

I think it was posted a page or so back that the next was occurring on Saturday April 2 but no location was given.

I attended one or two many years back and besides renewing some old friendships it was a rather interesting process.

7. WYtransplant

WYtransplant Senior Refuge Member

1- open a one per year Brant allowance in all other counties except Skagit.
    Still protects the species of concern and We already pay our $13 for card and could be tracked like harli.
    2- look at management change to allow 3 per day on scooter. Looking at management goals it is either 2 or 4. If continue to rise then a middle management ground would be good.
    3- double side print our punch cards to cut down on death by paper we currently have. Put sea duck on one side brant on other etc.
    3a- better yet. Create a WDFW APP that you can log your species in on instead of paper copy. Daily input, and even allow upload of picture like DU hunting log. Can probably get a state grant for going green.
    4- need more WDFW enforcement officers in the field.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Your brant idea would be a huge hit to Pacific county which is also open to brant hunting. It has a full 10 day season every year when in some years Skagit has less days or can be closed entirely. I wouldn't mind seeing something like a season bag limit of 4 birds total and open in all counties on the west side on the same select dates used now.

I'm 100% with you on the 3 scoter limit as an option.

9. Smalma

Smalma Senior Refuge Member

Dr Dux -
    Two potential regulation changes/issues.

Goose Management area 1. This past year white fronts were lumped with the snows with full access during the normal waterfowl season as an exception to the 1 week closure of "dark" geese. I understand the reason for the 1 week "dark" goose closure (Juvenile and early season opportunity) which falls in late October/early November but I would like to see that 1 week closure moved to sometime later in the season (early December or January). It would provide better access to the smaller geese which seem to be most abundant during that late October/early November period. During the discussions for the white front change Kraege promised to talk with the dark geese hunters to see if such a time change would be appropriate. I would be interested in his findings and whether such a change is now being considered. After all the reason for those various goose management areas or zones to allow tailoring of seasons to find local hunting and bird needs.

In regard to the swan hunting. The Pacific Fly Trumpeter swan management plan was last updated in 2006. At the time the lower population threshold was 25,000 birds and the population was growing at 4.6%. I believe that the Pacific coastal population is now something north of 30,000. And BTW Kraege was part of the committee for that review. I believe it is now time for another review.

I would especially like to see discussion focusing on goal/objective # 3 -

"Develop and implement interpretive and other actions that provide optimum recreational, viewing and educational opportunities."

With a focus under which conditions that that recreational opportunity would include hunting. Given that we now have a relatively robust (more so than many other hunted waterfowl) that is currently well buffered above lower population goals now is the time for those discussion which I think would include the Swan society folks from the get-go. As discussed in previous threads there has been some good ideas for how to structure such opportunities including funding for swam population research/monitoring. I have some ideas for addition considerations if those discussion were to be actually considered.

Thanks
    Curt

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  10. WYtransplant

WYtransplant Senior Refuge Member

Yep meant to include pacific. Keep current seasons but allow 1 per season in all other counties. Thought is one per season would go through much easier than 4 as impact would be minimal and open up the oportunity. but I like the 4 per season as well.