WDFW Answers thru the WAG 2012-2016

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by john4wdh, Jun 19, 2012.

1. NWRINGNECK

NWRINGNECK Elite Refuge Member

I was contacted by a fellow that advised me that as far as he knew the public can watch but not engage in the discussions, etc and that is how I remember it.......it was not / is not a public forum.

I didn't mean to imply that anyone could show up and speak.

That is why you..John A and Dr. Dux...are on here solicitating input on what the waterfowlers in our state want brought up and what views on various subjects should be presented to WDFW.

Thanks for your time and efforts

2. fatlab

fatlab Elite Refuge Member

would they consider expanding the quality hunt program further south, King and pierce county, even a couple sites would be welcomed.

Constructeur likes this.
  3. john4wdh

john4wdh Elite Refuge Member

Never hurts to ask, David, and I will for you!

fatlab likes this.
  4. ntropy

ntropy Elite Refuge Member

To add to Dr. Dux comments- Having regulations packages tied to specific population level and desired harvest rates is a tenet of recent management philosophy. This assures that the maximum harvest is applied given a specific population level. Having packages of 2 scoters, 3 scoters, 4 scoters or more, implies that there is more control and greater predictability of achieving targeted harvest rates than can currently be supported with the monitoring and assessment programs. There is also a price that hunters would pay for that greater regulatory complexity, there would be more variation in bag limits from year to year, and it would likely result in few years with higher bag limits. In other teams, the penalty for regulatory complexity aside from cost and confusion is decrease frequency of years with liberal bag limits.

WYtransplant likes this.
  5. john4wdh

Brad --

Don Kraege confirmed your understanding.

Sean and Thor --

I know you guys have expressed interest in sitting on the WAG in the past. Like Dave Drewry referenced below, this is one way to get "your foot in the door."

John,
    We have had guests attend meetings in the past (e.g. Dave Drewry before he was on the WAG), so we have precedent for open meetings. Typically the chair tells guests that they are welcome to attend but not allowed to participate unless they are a WAG member appointed by the WDFW director.
    Don

Don Kraege
    Waterfowl Section Manager
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

6. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

Thanks so much for answering my question, John! I had given up on it but you came through, lol! I plan to take a dual approach since I have worked with WDFW in the past on the now defunct UGAC (Upland Game Advisory Committee).

7. john4wdh

Good, maybe I'll see you April 2nd, and we can talk GSP's. Having a ball with my new pup! :tu:tu

Constructeur likes this.
  8. john4wdh

Here is Part 1 of Martha Jordon's Response. Stay tuned for more to come regarding their position regarding a WA Swan Hunting Season.

Hello John,
    Thank you for bringing this to my timely attention.
    Please know that I am no longer representing The Trumpeter Swan Society. As a result of changing needs for swans and people here in Washington, there has been a shift to a local organization to better serve these needs. You have known the Washington Swan Stewards, under TTSS, and now the WSS is now Northwest Swan Conservation Association. I remain a member of TTSS but am no longer active with them. It was a substantial change and one that needed to happen.

In mid-2015 the Northwest Swan Conservation Association was created as a regional, local organization. I am the Executive Director. We are a 501-c-3 and registered charity here in Washington State. We were formerly known as Washington Swan Stewards under TTSS. We are the same people with the addition of a few new volunteers and we focus on all matters related to swans in WA and around the NW. This includes the all the same issues we have worked on in the past, from agriculture, habitat conservation, conflicts, lead poisoning, education, outreach, and more.

I am forwarding your note on to the appropriate people in TTSS. I will be responding separately from NWSCA.

I truly appreciate your consideration and support in sending me this information. It is these collaborative efforts that keep the communication and information moving even when it is a challenging topic.

Martha Jordan
    Executive Director
    Northwest Swan Conservation Association

9. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

Couldn't agree more on the Brant hunt.

sully likes this.
  10. All Day

All Day Elite Refuge Member

I would like to know what studies were used to base the ban on electronic decoys. Why was electronics totally banned? Spinning wing decoys are more prevalent now than before.
    Thanks
    Kurt

Doc E likes this.