We all gonna die.....

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by H20DAD, Jan 5, 2018.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Before moving to Florida I lived in Nashville. Black ducks were rarer like north Alabama I would assume but of course the first duck I shot with the plantation bottom gents along the old hickory river bottoms was a black duck.

Growing up in southern Ohio i shot more black ducks than almost anything else. They were the hardest bird to decoy after sunrise but most mornings one landed in the decoys before shooting time and I jump shot a lot of them so they weren’t a big deal. More rice breast than any other duck.

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Our elusive duck is the drake golden eye. You might see one once every three years and get a shot on one once every ten years. Usually, you choke when you shoot and miss it or worse...cripple the green headed s.o.b. and the chase is on. We shot two in the same day years ago and was convinced the world was coming to an end! Beautiful birds!

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Come up to Michigan from mid November to the end. They are a dime a dozen...especially on the Great Lakes.

4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Typically first half of the season majority of what we killed is teal after that it's gadwall. Truthfully I think as poor as the hunting can be here we are fortunate to at some point have the opportunity at the majority of the ducks on the Atlantic flyway. I've killed every puddle and diving duck out the same marsh blind over the last 15-18 years. Even missed an opportunity at a scoter years ago and know 2 singles were killed on the same day in the fog couple years later out that blind. I've killed a goldeneye on the same day as teal and wood ducks and a canvasback and a wood duck on the same hunt.

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Make great subsitute for anchovies on a pizza! :p :l

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

We never had winter here in California... I never put on a hunting jacket (outside of a rain coat) all season... Put the heater on for the kids last week, and they asked me to turn it off cause it was too hot.

Looks like you killed some interesting birds... I believe I would enjoy getting into a tree duck shoot... Do they work a call or decoy spread? Sporty duck too shoot? Good eating??? Give us the low down on these unique birds...

7. cracker4112

cracker4112 Refuge Member

Just like most ducks, the whistle and decoys work sometimes. We have a dozen old decoys painted like BBWDs and they have worked on occasion. They generally know exactly where they want to be and you have to be there, but sometimes you can get them to give you a look. If you are on the X, sometimes they will circle back to get shot at more than once. I believe since they breed almost year round, there are always some dumb young birds involved. They are not real sporty to shoot, slowest of all the ducks down here, usually in big flocks. BUT, they are delicious, with large legs and thighs which are also great. IMO.

Squaller likes this.
  8. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Cracker mostly summed it up. But they are my favorite duck to hunt.

I think they are our version of Canada geese as far as hunting. But they are the best eating duck hands down. The only duck I’ve ever had cold out of the fridge 3 days later that are still great tasting.

I have decided at this point they will not decoy (pisses off my buddy’s when I say it but I stand by it) however I can call them in to just about land on me. I make my own black belly and fulvous calls by hand and I have called large flocks of black belly’s into my face in the Everglades proper.

I have never pursued a duck because it was “sporty.” I’ve shot them all except sea ducks and I’d rather shoot and chase black belly’s. Now fulvous are the devil and I hate them with a passion but black belly’s are the ****.

As to the dumb comments about bbwd. In areas where I feel that I am the first one to chase flocks (300+ sized extended family groups) the first few times they do some dumb things but they get wise very quickly and I have see birds scattered over a mile of heavy cover leave the area after one or two gun shots. I really respect the birds as they have turned me into a better hunter, specifically scouter, than any other bird or game animal.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Both black-bellied and fulvous whistling ducks will often decoy to spinners here, even late in the season. But they're real suckers for pitch-correct or nearly so whistling, and I carry a metal herding dog whistle on the string with my common dog whistles just to mess with them while running the dogs on rice ground. Certainly the least interesting waterfowl targets I've shot, but as noted, the best eating wild duck I've tried.

10. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Agree with Rick. The ones I have seen were very dumb and big, slow targets. But they do taste good.