Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

We have a situation!!!!

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by woodsie, Dec 13, 2016.

1. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

IMG_0956.JPG Well these are staying all night on my impoundment.
    Then they do this around 7 am. The times are still on daylight savings time so I guess it's really seven.
    IMG_0957.JPG
    I imaging the impoundments will be froze over by Friday morning, although they were on the ice earlier this week.
    I am thinking my best plan is wait for them to fly out around seven then rush out there to the field blind set up all my full bodies and hop in the blind
    I would imagine that is better than pushing them out quietly while we walk out and put the out decoys well before first light. we have to walk past this impoundment to get to the field blind as well. There are lots of other geese in the area but more and more are roosting in the impoundment each nights. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this
    Thanks
    W:)

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

good problem to have, woodsie!

Hope you figure it out

Mr_Mallard and woodsie like this.
  3. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Senior Refuge Member

Ah- how to hunt a roost pond. this is sure to be a polarizing as wether to shoot into large groups or not....

your strategy sounds fine to me.

woodsie likes this.
  4. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Did you get your shotgun fixed? At least the camera reloads itself ..................

woodsie likes this.
  5. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

They are so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute.

We should name them!

Pretty Jealous of your setup woodsie, congrats hoping for lots of success for you!

woodsie likes this.
  6. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

I say hunt the big water and to hell with the pond...Don't forget the pond will have chainsaw ice after two days of less than 30 degree temps all day. The Foxes and Yots "if you have them" will be all over that impoundment at night and day and the geese will be on the bubblers and big water....

7. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

Thanks every one. IWe'll hunt the field blind if it's froze up.

8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

1. Get an ice eater. (long term thinking here)
    B. Jump shoot em at 7:06
    iii. Patterns may change with the coming weather

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  9. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    Woodsie, Montauker has is right.... Get ICE EATERS now... obviously you have spent a good deal of $$ buying the farm, even more $$ creating an impoundment, now is the time to reap the benefits.... open inland water especically with a food source in the cold = banner hunts... at this point you may have to rig it ( i.e. lay the electric wire ontop of the ground until spring to trench and bury it, but it will be worth it! There will soon be plenty of frozen ice for the birds to sit on... give them somplace to swim!

As for the roost pond, do you have any footage with the birds returning later in the morning around 10 or so? My favorite spot is a roost cove... we walk the geese out before every hunt without ever firing a shot.... they start trickling back in an hour or two, and by 9 -10 they are steady returning...

woodsie likes this.
  10. Osprey

Osprey Elite Refuge Member

Ahh yes, well familiar with that. They come into my impoundment just at dark, spend the night and leave in the morning not to return until the next evening. Best solution I've found is to set up on their flight path out and pass shoot them as they leave. Limit that to once or twice a week and you'll keep them all season.

Or it could just be the full moon feeding cycle, you won't know until you've dealt with it awhile. They have been out feeding at nights lately, when I take the dog out at night all you can hear is geese in every direction.