Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

We have a situation!!!!

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by woodsie, Dec 13, 2016.

1. bombman

bombman Senior Refuge Member

My .02 cents. I would chase the geese out, hunt them, etc.. An impoundment is a lot of work to just kill geese. Ducks are a different story. I agree with others, I would get some ice eaters. Nice looking place.

Doug

2. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

I'll kill those *******s for you. Then the ducks can have it to themselves.

3. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

IMG_0990.JPG Dang it!!!!!!look who showed up

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Now you have a very real problem

woodsie likes this.
  5. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Are those lessers? I hear there is only lessers in that inpound? :l

6. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

If they are blues- most likely yes. Especially in the area he is in.

7. Osprey

Osprey Elite Refuge Member

So after your first full duck season did the impounment live up to expectations? All you thought it would be??

8. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

Well that's a great question. I'm gonna give u the full update as a farm owner for 1 year. as a landowner I loved seeing the birds using something I built. We had a fun opening October duck hunt, with plenty of shooting just to much missing. ( they claim I called the shots too early LOL LOL) after that we only hunted it couple times with no luck. Unfourtunatly they would only use it at night, every night though. Moslty canadas with some snows too, but the Next year I am going to plant corn in the impoundments to hopefully draw more daytime activity and pull more ducks. Next year everything in the area is going to be in soybeans so I think that will help the impoundments being in corn. Our field blind did pretty good, but we never ended up setting the whole spread out like I wanted too. Something always came up. We only hunted our water blind in the very late season. We never did end up hunting all day like we should've, as I thought they would come back to water midday. We had one decent afternoon shoot too. a ton of birds use this area and that makes me happy. We shot 3 deer opening day of gun for 3 guys. It only got deer hunter a couple other times. Starting in July I will get my gravity feeders going by each stand, and we're gonna bow hunt a ton.
    There is turkey sign everywhere and many gobblers were seen while deer hunting. April 18 (opening day)cannot get here soon enough
    I really need to start practicing so my Goose calling gets better. Looking forward to spring. Already got a good jump on Indian arrowhead hunting with a couple found so far(one of my favorite activities). Fishing is amazing in the summer and my kids fish all day long. This summer we caught W Perch, spot, rockfish, skates, sea trout, 2 sunfish, and crabs. Best part is by the house we have very few skeeters and bugs. I don't know how or why but I will not complain Lol lol. Well that's what's happening at Freedoms Edge Farm. Thanks for asking

9. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

That's great to hear, things will improve when the weather becomes more conducive to promote waterfowl movement and feeding.

woodsie likes this.
  10. mdmallard

mdmallard Refuge Member

Woodsie,

Where is the farm you purchased? How many acres? Sounds awesome!