Weapon of choice?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Layout101, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

What do you guys use in your area for yotes?

Here I use a 243 loaded with TTS or a 12ga loaded with 4buck.

2. WampusCat

WampusCat Refuge Member

.22-250 with 36gr varmint grenades @ 4400 fps out of a bolt gun and 75gr hpbt @2800 fps out of an Rock River AR. All handloads worked up slowly. The .22-250 shoots like a laser beam.

3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

308, 168Gr federal gold medal match
    Or 180gr trophy bonded tips

Savage 10fcp in a choate tactical stock, skim bedded.
    Sightron SIII 8-32x56 mil dot

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Jeebus. That'll leave a mark. Can't find a 220 grain or what?

5. Leaky-NY

Leaky-NY Elite Refuge Member

I use a Savage in 243 with a 75 gr hp.Works wonders on them way out there and if its during deer sear it'll drop a deer.

Leaky

6. Little Fritto

Little Fritto Senior Refuge Member

I use a 22-250 with 45 gr bullets. It doesn't tear up the fur and will reach out there and touch em if needed.

I've used my .270 in the past before I bought the 22-250. The .270 with 120 gr bullets will put em down, but the exit hole will be about the size of a grapefruit. The fur man around me won't buy em like that.

7. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Senior Refuge Member

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless Varmint in 22-250, I don't handload (yet) but the Hornady 55gr VMax do well for me!!!

[​IMG]

8. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

22-250 handloaded with a Sierra 53 gr match HP. Very little fur damage, if any, and longest recorded kill was 486 paces.

My son is looking at a 204 Ruger. Seems a little light to me but the ballistics are impressive.

You guys that shoot a 243....what kind of fur damage do you get? I bought my daughter a Rem Model 7 several years ago for deer hunting. She has since moved on to college and doesn't get back to hunt much. I was thinking of trying it on yotes since it's such a nice light weight rifle.

9. WampusCat

WampusCat Refuge Member

Blue Devil-
    I love that 55gr v-max. It shot tiny little one hole groups with my handloads. The only drawback was massive exit holes on broadside yotes and cats. Really had to wait for a chest shot on the cats. Have you had same effects?

Musher-
    My calling partner has folded many yotes out to almost 400 yds with his .204 ruger. I wouldn't hesitate for an instant about dumping dogs with that cartridge. The small weight bullet is effected by wind a lot over distance but inside 300 it too is a laser beam! Have yet to not recover any hit varmints.

10. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

Using the tipped triple shocks in my 243 I don't get much damage at all, exit hole is about twice the entry size,, it dumps them where they stand out to the 350+ yards I am comfortable shooting at.

BlueDevil that is a SWEET rig you have!

You guys that load your own make me jealous,, I have always wanted to get into that.