Weapon of choice?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Layout101, Jul 31, 2011.

1. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I use a Tikka 595 .243 with Federal 70 or 75 gr. NBT's (don't recall which weight).

I haven't done much 'yote hunting with it, but my experience with the NBT's are that the exit hole isn't usually very large.

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

You'd be amazed, it will do less damage then a lot of loads for your 223, 22 250, or 243.

My thing is, I'm not here to wound an animal, I don't collect fur, so I would like an efficient kill, however, I'm surprised to say and have seen multiple run offs with my 308 already.

Bad shot placement is bad shot placement, but these run offs left both me and the gentleman with me scratching our heads and pizzed. One had a beachball sized blood stain right in the boiler room, flipped head over heels, legs straight up in the air... dead... until we went to retrieve him.:scratch

I should find a lighter load, or run something like a ballistic tip, but, with a fast twist, my gun likes heavier loads. I joined and have competed in fclass competitions since my last hunt earlier this spring to help me place better shots.
    The competitions have helped tremendously with wind reading and long range marksmanship, we'll see, I'll start going out again soon.

3. shermanmd

shermanmd Senior Refuge Member

You get some thin jacketed bullets for the 308 and she will surely stop them. When I was a kid and only had one rifle I used to shoot them with my 30-06 loaded with 180 gr nosler partitions. If I didn't hit a bunch of bone there was a 30 cal hole going in and a 30 cal hole coming out. Not much tissue damage. I shoot almost all hand loads. When I lived in NM I mostly used a 243 with 55 gr Sierra varminters and a 12 ga loaded with #4 buck. When I lived back east and you were lucky to call in a single dog I used my encore 204 and 40 gr vmax. I think she was a little light. In Oklahoma where it was not uncommon to call in a pack, I used my custom AR platform I built myself with 55 gr ballistic tips. Lots of fun with a clip full of ammo and multiple dogs.

4. Bill in Il

Bill in Il Senior Refuge Member

.243 with a 75 grn V-Max

5. gunner29

gunner29 Senior Refuge Member

12 gauge #4s or 22mag at night. Don't hunt them much in daytime. When I do its long across field shots 7mm rem mag with 175 gr handloads. I don't load but my buddy does and these seem to shoot best ,drive tacks at 400yds

6. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Senior Refuge Member

Yes I've noticed the same affects when dealing with the exit wounds. :nutz

7. BlueDevil

Thanks!! I love the gun especially being a left handed shooter. The Wildlife Technologies caller worked flawlessly in really cold weather. :tu

8. BlueDevil

I've experienced some runoffs and spinners as well and couldn't figure out what was going on? I found this on another site and I was shooting them like a deer but in reality I was giving them a liver shot (sorry for hijacking this thread):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Doubletap

Doubletap Elite Refuge Member

10. MACHINE

MACHINE Elite Refuge Member

remington 700 VSSF SF 22-250 , blueprinted , jewell, tubb pin , 6.5 X 20 Leupold

52 gr Ser HPBT match on Varget , Federal match primers ...

un-freaking good shooting rifle ,

I have shot dirt dogs out to 600

400 is dead meat

I need to go back and do it again