WEATHER AROUND SQUAW CREEK

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Uncle Fuzzy, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Refuge Member

We have an opportunity to hunt around Squaw Creek this December between Christmas and New Year. I know that last year there was hard hard freeze and they pretty much closed down Bob Brown and Nadaway.

Was this typical, or are there usually ducks around then. We are looking at field hunting and can wait until the last minute to cancel.

2. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

You might use your search engine of choice and look up the high/low and average temps for Mound City and make a semi scientific wild *** guess but if you can cancel at the last minute.......what difference does it make?

You might also look up the harvest numbers for the past few years for that time period and approach it that way

Then again you can just roll the dice and do like the natural born duck assassins that lives here and just go

Just sayin.........

3. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Usually frozen.

4. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Refuge Member

OK, if it's usually frozen out, why does the MDC run the season thru Jan 1? Did the feds give them too many days and they didn't know what to do with them of do they sometimes shoot ducks on Christmas break?

5. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

MDC listened to hunters who wanted a later season. Personally, the later season hurt my club but there are some hunters who will benefit. We will have an opportunity to review in five years.

6. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Just because it's frozen doesn't mean there isn't opportunity. There's still a lot of weather fluctuation. Hell, it could be 60 on Christmas day. So these freezes and thaws can make for really good hunting. I can't speak for everyone in the north zone, but I still prefer the week in January versus the week in October, but we keep water open during freezes and also hunt the river when necessary. I haven't hunted a dry field in many years, but I do know people do well in the fields too.

wakenda likes this.
  7. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Agree with Cliner. Frozen. If it freezes and stays frozen can be pretty tough unless you are well versed in a very fast flowing and dangerous river. If big bergs rolling down the river stay away and generally speaking most birds have ad well. Often times it freezes and thaws that time of year and if you can time it right it can be good as Cliner suggests. Just depends on the severity of the freezes.......could take a full week of 50+ to thaw things if really hard freeze has set in. Good hunts can be had but it can be really volatile.

We keep water open and it is certainly no guarantee of birds.

Good luck

8. carsten

carsten New Member

Late November is dicey, by my experience, if you are planning a normal boat or wade-in hunt. For short term freezes that lock up the shallow water, the birds move to the river. Good hunting can still be had, but it takes more work, or different strategies.