Weather

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Neck Collar, Oct 14, 2017.

1. schwar74

schwar74 New Member

Dorn,

The only problem with your plan of conservation groups buying land is that most governments in the great plains will not allow that to happen.

2. waterfowlhunter27

waterfowlhunter27 Refuge Member

The ducks are still in canada and the dakotas. I know a group of guys that killed 550 birds in 7 days in north dakota free lancing. And I just got back from SK canada on sunday night and the ducks and lessers were thick! That being said some areas are getting snow and the temperature is supposed to drop into the single digits end of this week and stay that way. They are coming, and we still have birds here you just gotta find them.

3. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

This "land" you are referring to is mostly "CRP" acreage, which is privately owned...As those CRP contracts have expired, the landowners have plowed under that good waterfowl habitat & put that acreage back into commodity production (which helps to explain the current low commodity prices)...If that landowner is a "willing seller" & wants to sell that acreage to a conservation group...local, state & federal branches of government, for the most part, can't stop that transaction.

4. schwar74

schwar74 New Member

Neck, You're wrong. In North Dakota, at least, the governor has veto power over any land sales to conservation entities. And in Kansas, there is a moratorium on the state acquiring any more land. Even if a landowner wanted to donate acres to the state, KDWPT is not able to take it. I heard KDWPT officials state this at an outreach meeting they held regarding Milford Wildlife Area last fall.

http://1033uscountry.com/north-dakota-governor-turns-down-ducks-unlimited-land-buy-request/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...021e0c41964_story.html?utm_term=.5901b454a11d

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Conservation groups like TNC or DU are not state government. They can buy land in Kansas just as you and I can....and they do, frequently.
    If this is what Neck Collar and Dorn mean, and I think it is, then they are right.

Neck Collar likes this.
  6. schwar74

schwar74 New Member

The discussion started with poor conditions that Ramblingman noted in North Dakota. And then Dorn seemed to discuss conservation areas in the North. And in North Dakota there is absolutely governmental control over this.

Not really worth arguing over though . . . .

The bigger issue is that "conservative" governments seem to have no interest in "conserving" anything for tomorrow. They seem to be only interested in things that put dollars in someone's pocket today.

Neck Collar and Ramblingman like this.
  7. DornCounty

DornCounty Senior Refuge Member

The point I made is still legit. The state of the "duck factory" is of logarithmic more importance to how the season goes than the actual dates. And your second point is true. Our lords in the government don't seem to truly care about it.

8. Tuleman

I seem to recall that you were talking about buying land in "the great plains", schwar74. Most Kansans consider Kansas to be located in the great plains. If you limited that description to North Dakota, I missed it and apologize if I've gone off-topic.

9. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

True rule, but they cannot transfer it to the state with out state approval

10. Tuleman

Of course not.