Weatherby SA-08

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by marshmob, Oct 23, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

I have been looking for reasonably priced semi auto 20’s for my son and came across the weatherby. Anyone had experiences with these? I use to have a westherby o/u that was great but that was 30 years ago.

Thanks

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Working from memory here...
    They are basically a Ber 302 with some minor changes. Proven action. Supposed to be very easy to clean, especially compared to others. Fairly light, but also controls recoil well.
    It IS a Turkish gun, but that isn't always a bad thing.
    If the price is right, it should be a good gun. I remember they were selling in the mid $400's, new.

3. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    My father has the 12g, and only gripe I can see is having to change gas piston when going from High base to low base shells.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

After posting, I was looking at some other websites. With 1oz loads, that was true. Most had no problem with 1 1/8oz loads. Duck loads, no problems at all. (if the gun was clean)

5. marshmob

marshmob Senior Refuge Member

That’s great to hear. They are retailing around $500 - $575 depending on the dealer. I’m thinking what better early Christmas gift than a gun !!!!!!

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't Mossberg have a Turkish made 20 that has been getting favorable reviews and is at a lower price point than the Weatherby?

7. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Get the SA-08. Don't get the Mossberg.
    If you do some searches on the the shotgun forums (DHC, SGW, maybe here), you'll find tons of threads on the SA08, and all of them are complimentary. Randy Wakeman has several reviews on it, very complimentary.

Let me preface my comments with the fact I own a Browning 725 20ga, and a Beretta 682 with a Kolar tube set, a Maxus, and a camo Cynergy... so I have plenty of high quality guns to compare to and not swayed solely by low price. And for youth guns, I have also a Win SX3 20ga Compact-- also a good gun. But I'd get the SA-08 first, and in fact did so when I needed a 2nd gun.

I bought one, a 12ga to use as a backup gun... price was so good. I loved it, shot it at the skeet range quite a bit. It is very light, 6 lbs 10.6 oz-- this is lighter than some of my 20ga guns. In fact, it is lighter than my youth/compact Win SX3 20ga at 6# 9.9oz. The LOP on it is a bit shorter than my Maxus, which I think is good in a duck gun for wearing a jacket etc. However, this also makes the 12ga gun a real player for youth! Don't assume it won't fit-- it's lighter than many youth guns, and the LOP is the shortest of any 12ga I've tried... it may very well fit as good as a 20ga. The piston thing-- I've tried heavy and light with most loads, only difference was how far it threw them, I just leave the light piston in for EVERYTHING now. That lets me shoot 3/4oz 1250fps reloads at skeet, and 1-1/5oz 1550fps duck loads. Maybe I'd go with the heavy piston if I was shooting 1-3/8oz or something.

I liked that 12ga SA-08 so much that I bought the 28ga version, after reading tons of outstanding reviews--and they were right. Beautiful wood and construction, it is an outstanding looking gun and fantastic 28ga. Of the 5 guys I know online who shoot ducks with 28ga, all of them have this gun and have posted they love it. My first son used this gun for his first duck hunts, I loaded up some HW13 #6 shells for him and he did great. I shoot this gun for skeet quite often, and have never had a failure to fire or eject. He's now using a Win SX3 20ga compact, as I was able to swap the safety to left-hand myself while the Wby you have to send in, and as he's left handed it's easier for him with small fingers.

When my 2nd son got old enough to hunt, I needed a light gun he could hold up and point. We went to the store and tried many, and by FAR the small/compact gun they liked best was the SA-08 20ga compact (26" barrel, 12.5" LOP with additional spacers, short radius on pistol grip, GREAT gun for youth). So I bought my 3rd SA-08, and it has performed flawlessly for many hunts and rounds of skeet. AND, despite being a short LOP, if you add a slip on recoil pad like a Limbsaver, it fits an adult fine... to give you an idea of the confidence I have in the gun, I actually grabbed it and used it twice last year for all-day hunt trips with 4 hours drive each way-- the kind of hunt where you HAVE to be able to rely on your gun working as there's a lot of effort invested. Yep, took that 20ga over my Maxus and camo Cynergy 12ga guns, and have bagged a lot of ducks with it. Oh, and I just use the light piston for both the 20 and 28ga guns too, and am shooting 1oz steel at 1485 fps handloads from the 20ga.

Lastly, I do some SCTP support and have seen a lot of youth 20ga guns at the range shooting skeet... the Wby is a good one. However, I will also say that if you end up not liking the Wby SA-08 then the Tristar Viper G2 is nice and I've never seen it have an issue at the skeet range for many kids.
    Oh, left-handed: Weatherby has to swap the safety apparently for going left handed, they charge $80 to put one in for that.

There you have it. I've done a ton of research on 20ga youth guns for my kids, and I say get the SA-08, you'll like it!

8. Native NV Ducker

My research says the same thing.

9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I just bought one off GunBroker site. Wood stock, field model, 20 gauge with 28 inch barrel for $599 shipped.
    What type choke system do they use? I want to order a light modified choke for it from carlson or tru loc.

10. black brant

black brant Senior Refuge Member

I have a buddy that has shot a 12 ga. sao8 for years.
    It has been a very dependable gun.