Weatherby SA-08

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by marshmob, Oct 23, 2017.

1. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Saw this thread again after researching 20 ga autos for 2 of my grandkids to use. I never did find many negative points on the SA-08 or the Mossberg SA-20. And Randy Wakeman actually like the SA-20 a lot more than the SA-08 (I know, some of you don't like Randy Wakeman :dv ).

http://www.randywakeman.com/MossWeatherbyBattleofthe20GaugesPartTwo.htm

So it sounds like either is a good choice. Right now I'm leaning towards the Mossberg, as they are available in a couple spots around here whereas the SA-08s are tough to find.

ronaldo likes this.
  2. wingmatt

A small correction in the review ..... the Weatherby reviewed is the Element, which I think is their new inertia gun??? But he does mention the SA-08 as well.

ronaldo likes this.
  3. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Look back a few years... several sa08 reviews, as well as a mossburg sa20 that isnt too good.

4. wingmatt

I must have missed that one. Most of what I've found searching is both are good guns for their pricepoint.

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Here is the link to the Randy Wakeman review of the SA 08.
    He liked and recommended it.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/weatherby_SA-08_shotgun.htm

"With the Weatherby's fast handling, light weight, attractive walnut, polished blue barrel, well-finished and soft durometer recoil pad, as well its satisfactory factory trigger, it is the first autoloader of Turkish origin that I can recommend. For a sharp-looking walnut-stocked self loader, delightful to carry with no aftermarket trigger work or replacement recoil pad needed, it is a lot of gun for $650 2013 dollars. The synthetic-stocked versions go for somewhere around $150 less. The choice is yours, but the walnut is my preference."

6. wingmatt

Yes. He likes both guns. The one I linked is a newer review, and like I said the Weatherby was the Element. But if you didn't watch the review, here is another synopsis from him (non-video).

"It is a very rare but fortuitous circumstance when the most affordable shotgun tested turns out to the most desirable. This is indeed the case with the Mossberg International SA-20: I'm surprised, but in a very good way. There little left to say except congratulations to Mossberg for a job well done. The SA-20 deserves and gets my highest recommendation."

http://www.randywakeman.com/MossWeatherbyBattleofthe20GaugesPartTwo.htm

Like I said, I think either would be fine for what I want it for. The SA-20 happens to be available near me, and (not as important) is $50 cheaper.

7. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Refuge Member

I bought a Mossberg SA-20 for my son Logan when he was 10(he is now 19). He hunted with the SA-20 for about 4 years, put down his first duck with it(a pintail). It has operated flawlessly, he even put down 3 swans with it before he graduated up to a 11-87. My grandson,Logan's nephew, will be taking that same gun out this Saturday for his first shooting duck hunt. He used it this past dove season, shooting 13 on the opener and 11 on the following Monday. It has been a wonderful gun. It is easy to clean, and it has very little recoil. I highly recommend the Mossberg SA-20. IMG_0246.JPG 2012-13 hunting pics 015.JPG

Silver Wings and ronaldo like this.
  8. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

great to hear! Good luck to you and your grandson!

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

IMO, what's not to like in a duplicitous used car salesman masquerading as a gun writer?

Tuleman likes this.
  10. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

SA-08 is a great gun. My oldest has been shooting his for 4 years. He averages a case and a half of steel a year and about three cases of lead. No problems