Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Weed eater conversion

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Deck III, Mar 21, 2018.

1. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

So yea, I work at Milwaukee Tool in the facility where repairs and returns come in. I think I am going to have to try a motor made out of one of our weed eaters now.

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Ok, I get it, Messing around with weed eaters, tools, beer in the manacle garage has it's value but.....
    You can get a small Swamp Runner for $399 and a Harbor Freight 6.5 motor for $119. Open a cano beer, bolt the two together, add gas and oil and fire that baby up! Then drink more cano beers and make a video and show all your friends and us. All for $519
    Or go cheaper and get the Mini Swamp runner for $349 and a 3hp for $99.99 for a total of $450.

3. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

My experience with the Thai LT is they are junk.. I’ve driven a Swamp Runner a couple times and I hated it. And I have plenty of stick time on a LT so I know the difference.

Reasons I built it..
    I enjoy putzing on things mechanical after 8 hrs behind a desk..was a mechanic in the USAF in another life...
    I wanted light weight..it goes about 20lbs..
    I already had the motor from OB style that weeded up too easy. (But I included it’s value to accurately reflect cost)
    It’s a 2 stroke so I can just throw it in the bottom of my marsh rat when it’s tendered out to the
    area I hunt.
    My preferred spots are 0.6-0.8 miles back, 3 beaver dams to cross(take motor off—cross dam—replace motor) and lots of 3-4 inch deep water

And BTW...you don’t get it...because I’ve seen you post the above comments before...

4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with and hope to see some performance measures. But every time I heard weed eater motor I think back a couple years when a guy had a little aluminum boat show up to this little lake with his weed eater motor. I talked to him about it for a while and thought it was an amazing idea. He starts fishing for about 30 minutes and then a 10-15 mph wind picks up and it looks like he is running the boat in reserve. About 5 minutes later I had to go over and pull him out of the weeds and drag him back to the launch. He grab the motor and threw it into the lake haha. I'm assuming he never built another one.

5. Tailfeathers

Whoa Mallard,
    Dont take it personally. Guys that mess with stuff in their garages are good for our country. ( more on this below)If you want to make a great mudmotor out of weed wackers and it works for you and other guys, all the better. I just think FOR ME, that instead of throwing over $600 at an invention , I’D rather throw the money at something already established and available. Are the Swamp Runners reall that painful to run? Didnt mean to insult you personally with my info on an alternative to a weed wacker mud motor.
    Garage inventions. I know of two. One is Grumman Corporation. Started by a few talented guys on Long Island in. One of their’s garage. Look at them all thru WWII and Grumman Aerospace and up to today.
    Another is when I bumped into two guys about 25 years ago on the National Mall in Washington DC. They had a model plane with a pertty big wingspan and a remote. OK not that unusual. But, they powered it with a weed wacker motor. We got ot to talking. One of them said that this plane will be the experimental plane for military use in the future. Did they build this in their garage? I don’t know, but the drones we have today, started with weed wacker motors. How cool is that?
    Good luck with your work, keep us posted.

6. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, came off as more than a little pissy,,,

I build mine for a very specific purpose. I've had bilat shoulder surgeries, paddling long distance is difficult, especially multiple days. SO this is to avoid the "ounces means pounds, pounds = pain theory"...I don't think a 50lb motor is an option for me, and probably a lot of other people.

MY WW longtail does push my Marsh Rat pretty well. 5+ mph upstream--travelled about 3/4 mile up a little river this spring, 6.5 mph down. Just me an anchor and a paddle(I'm crazy, not stupid). I ended my maiden run a little early as the handle became loose and i only had tilt function no turning. Traveling 1/2 mile by using the motor head to turn was amusing.. If the ice ever melts I'll take it out to play in the muck, that will be the true test..

EWU--Fools they are aplenty..

7. Tailfeathers

I never considered the weight of the SR. It does add up. 5 mph and 6.5 mph isnt bad . The Barnegut Bay Sneak Box was either sailed or rowed in it’s day before kickers.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

He couldn't find the pull-rope.

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The advantage I see in a 40V weedeater LT over this is.....weight.

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

My Rickshaw LT has the 1.6HP Honda 4-stroke which puts out ~7HP with the gear reduction kit on it and weighs ~22#.