Weed eater conversion

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Deck III, Mar 21, 2018.

1. MQ

MQ Senior Refuge Member

I'd like to see that setup.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Most all of the electric weedeaters I've seen have vents in the housing, which means a no-go for running under water. Even if not vented, I'd be real skeptical of the housing being sealed well enough to hold up.

Somebody needs to yank the motor out of something and make an electric shorttail!

3. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

They did....in 1895 1895-Allen-ad-SciAm.png

tcc likes this.
  4. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Cool. Everyone talks about these things being slow, but it can't be worse than paddling!
    I'm also kinda surprised that Minn Kota or Motorguide hasn't came out with something; changing where the shaft attaches to the motor and a little more aggressive prop should work quite well in many situations.

6. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

If I'm not paddling, I ordinarily use a 55# Minnkota or my homemade weedeater longtail to power my Bandit pirogue. It's a great setup, even under paddle power.

7. Sault Ste. Marie

If I'm not paddling, I ordinarily use a 55# Minnkota or my homemade weedeater longtail to power my Bandit pirogue. It's a great setup, even under paddle power.
    I'm trying to upload a picture, but it isn't working. Maybe I will try another post below.

Attached Files:

tcc likes this.
  8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

That engine is a kick! I see you used some of the string guard parts as a prop protector/ skeg. I have 3 weed eaters in the shed that run, just don't use them any more that are now itching to become hydrated. :tu

9. Sault Ste. Marie

Thanks. It was a fun project. It doesn't move me quickly or quietly, but it does push me along. I used the handle for my 'tiller', took the mounting bracket from cannibalized trolling motor, and located a prop that turns the right direction. I used the guard, as you noticed, for my skeg/prop protector. I redirected the exhaust away from me. And in order to turn, the motor pivots in the mounting bracket, turning it up or down to turn left or right.

tcc likes this.
  10. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

944C47F1-E599-4704-BC70-8C2F5B391A92.jpeg 58306542-AF3C-4BF6-8483-2785B5B83BBA.jpeg

Here’s my conversion. Pushes my marsh rat 4.5 mph upstream and 6.5 mph downstream. Uses a Thai longtail prop. Will try it in the muck if the ice ever melts..

Sault Ste. Marie likes this.