Weighting a water keel?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by WARTHOG, May 3, 2018.

1. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

You make a good point about the super glue being brittle. Maybe I just use a silicone plug or if I can gain a little weight run a self tapper into a puddle of silicone.

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I use 1/2 of a 6 oz strap weight. Drill a hole in the center, drill hole thru the keel and use a heavy duty zip tie. The decoys can be converted back to water keels if desired.

QuaaackerJack and Ringbill like this.
  3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

If you are going SS tapper, yes. Otherwise, remember the rust issue.

Again, there is zero stress on the plug. You aren't putting a skim coat there, it is probably a 1/4" to 1/2" plug. It will never come out. It is also a very clean look.

I did this decades ago. I went with hot glue simply because I had a few bags of the sticks from the wife giving up on a hobby. Today, being the OCD person I am, I would go with Lexan or 3M 5200. I used that lexan on my roof snow blocks 13 years ago, out in the sun every day, and it still looks like new. Plus, it is an adhesive, but flexible.

As I said, I would not spend a penny (if you have a garage full of stuff like I do) on buying something for this. Use what you have. Zero stress on the plug, it will never come out, regardless of any of the ideas that have been posted here.

4. WARTHOG

I am totally on board with what you are saying. It is all stuff that is laying around my shop and my total expense might be a new tube of silicone.

5. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Ive had great success with this stuff. Used it to make my homemade goose pulsator. It sealed everything up nicely.

10192536_1.jpg

6. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I use sand. The thing is, sometimes finding "fine" sand is somewhat difficult.
    Course sand will typically have small rocks and such in it making it a pain to pour into the keel via a funnel as the small rocks/debris will clog up the funnel's spout. If the hole in the keel is big enough, I've used some sort of spoon to pour the sand into a keel.

Filling the keels 1/2 to 3/4 would suffice, in my opinion and will add enough weight to self-right when pitched.

As for glue/silicone, everyone has a favorite. I've had decent success with water proof caulk. As the caulk (whatever you use) dries or becomes tacky, I would sprinkle a little sand on it to (in my opinion), give the glue a little strength, if that made sense.

7. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I've done an awful lot of these, particularily on the garage sale stuff I buy to repaint & sell.
    Fill the keel FULL----but leave 3/8---1/2" from your pour hole. plug the whole full of a sealant.
    I've used Loctite's construction floor adhesive PL-400 in a caulking tube. Great stuff.
    But like Ducker says, run what you have & it'll work good. They will self right & ride much better in chop.

Ringbill

8. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I did a bunch a while back before I had a hot glue gun and used a caulk gun with liquid nails. sealed one end up and used a funnel to fill keel with sand. filled other end with liquid nails. would prolly use hot glue gun now though versus liquid nails.

9. WARTHOG

Project is complete. Used fine dry sand and tapped on the keel while putting it in to get it to settle. Filled the last 3/8” with silicone. Once dry threw decoys in a cattle tank to test and all righted themselves. Thanks for the help fellas!

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    QuaaackerJack and RTIC like this.
  10. JoJer

JoJer Senior Refuge Member

I had a few if these that needed the self righting fixed. I pop riveted (with aluminum rivets) small piece of lead to the bottom of the keel. It didn't take much weight to fix the problem. I don't recall having a problem with them falling off.