Weird problem

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Dek, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I will try and make this short. Got the fishing boat out this wekend and was having issues with my 3 year old Lowrance. Here is what I figured out. If I turn on the FF it boots up fine. Every time I put the boat in gear it kills the FF. Forward or reverse. I am thinking a ground issue. But if I have the boat in gear the FF will boot up fine. Put it in neutral, then back in gear, it kills it. Has worked fine since install and I have seemingly touched no other electrical connections. Anyone? Why in the heck would putting the boat in gear have any connection to the FF:scratch

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

My first look would be the transducer.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Wire ff directly to battery (as it should be). Also check battery voltage under load and when you put in gear. You can deduce from there.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

That's a weird one for sure... Would love to be there to troubleshoot. That would be a fun one. Please let us know the outcome.

I'd say the transducer is picking up noise and causing it to go crazy, but if it works when in gear, then dies after going to neutral and back, it wouldn't make much sense.

How is it wired up? Directly to the battery?

5. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Best advise. Most likely dropping power for a sec at the moment it goes to gear. Wiring directly to the battery should resolve the problem or at least lead you to resolving it.

6. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Its a voltage issue

7. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I have it wired straight to the battery. Lowrance said get a software update before I try anything else. Local fishing store that sells them will do update at no charge, my favorite price. Will see if that does it, but somehow I doubt it. My next step will be a new power and ground wire. Next step will be sell the boat:l

8. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Dek,

If you have a spare 12v battery around, wire the FF to the spare battery and see if the FF shuts off.

9. dukhnter8

dukhnter8 Senior Refuge Member

Wire it straight to the battery or shutoff switch but have a fuse in the positive line. I had the same issue and this fixed it. I have the shutoff switch on the battery so if I forget to shut of the fishfinder then it doesn't drain the battery.

How old is battery might want to check it as it may be getting old and need replacing? Or there might be a bad wire in motor, what kind of motor?

10. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

how is it wired now?? to the battery? to the ignition wires? (wait first is the motor electrical start or not?)or to a fuse panel??? outside that question...id start with a loose wire , losing connection when the boat takes some movement... does the motor have an alternator?

bob