Welcome

Discussion in 'Book Forum' started by Native NV Ducker, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Welcome to the new Book Forum. Several members asked this to be set up, and the Owners were nice enough to make it happen.

We don't anticipate any problems, I mean, who gets hot and bothered over a book? :scratch Normal rules apply, keep it clean, and don't disparage anothers choice in reading material.

For the record, I like Sci-Fi, and Military Fiction. I like books that move, and have details about how things work, or why they don't. I also tend to listen to audio books when I drive. Not much use anymore for regular radio.

2. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

I have found e-books to be a pretty good option, though I'm fairly new to them.

So far I've only gotten free ones and they've all been related to Civil War history, but I'd be interested in the thoughts of others on them.

When I really like a book, I want to have it in my library rather than just an e-file. But, a guy sure can go through a lot more at e-book prices and then buy a paper copy if they wish.

Any thoughts?

3. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

I read all kinds of books. I am a voracious reader always have been.
    My favorite would be more period era themed books from the medieval/middle ages..

4. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator

That's me as well. I get on streaks then have to rotate genres. . .philosophy, technical, scifi, medieval, history. . . even a stream of consciousness drug induced book every now and again.:nutz

Layout, I assume you're checking the web for George Martin's last two installments?

5. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

When the heck is he going to get writing again! It is the curse of reading a series, better to get into an author after they have completed them!

By your interests you might check out Stephen Lawhead (the Bright Empires trilogy) and Paul Christopher (everything), two of my favorite authors that are lightning fast reads.

6. Mrs. Ripline

Mrs. Ripline Senior Refuge Member

What a great forum, thanks for starting it. I read anywhere from 2-3 books a week. Love crime mysteries, John Grisham, Louis Lamour, Dean Koontz fast paced reads. I'm trying to branch out to more classic literature but having a hard time getting into some of them, started Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens,and just had to put it down. Can't wait to get into the meat of this forum. Almost could start a forum "book club" for some discussions. Anyway, good reading to all.

7. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator

I didn't think I'd like e-books at first, but they're addicting. It's so easy to one-click download from Amazon and have it available on my ipad or my wife's kindle. If I really, really like a book that I've downloaded, I'll also buy the hardcopy.

I look at it like music. . .I've bought my favorite albums 3-5 times over the years as media has evolved.

8. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

So I assume that you haven't read 50 Shades of Grey?:dv

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Good point.

I haven't.

Wife has.