Well, here I set!!!!

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Manoduk, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

Well here we set in Northwest Louisiana and the best front of the yr rolls thru and we are shut down for 2 weeks in December. It happens yr after yr. while we've been open and Ark been closed the birds have been stacking in on private "baited fields" 10 miles north of Caddo Parish in southwest Ark. Oh yes Ark opens Thursday. Hunting pressure in Ark has a big impact on the push of of birds into Louisiana obviously they will not move off those fields that provide so much food . Is it just me are others confused as to why we are closed when Ark is open and closed when they are open. I understand there is great debate regarding late vs early seasons, but what I'm referring to, why would we close for 2 weeks in the middle of the migration. Would anyone argue with the idea that hunting pressure has a big impact on bird movement. I have no problem with opening the week before Ark in order to address the ones who want an early opening. Its kind of like Bass fishing, some guys prefer fishing in February and others April but all of us will be out there in March. After that why can't we be open when Ark is open and split when they split or in other words set our season same as Ark. We could split maybe 3 times like Ark with 1 0r 2 day splits, such as Christmas Day which a majority of hunters stay home with family. A lot of our success is dependent on what is happening North of us. My intention is not to be critical but we really need someone who has a little common sense and is not politically influenced or at least a representative (not one who has his private hole) to represent Northwest Louisiana. By representative I mean one who hunts in this region. Now I,ll get on my soap box. As you may have noticed I haven't been on this site in a long time because of the very stupid and sarcastic responses to someone who's opinion is different and with this very little is accomplished and therefore it is a waste of time. Just sayin! Guys I'm sorry but all of this is about what is best for the powers to be not the poor average hunter who can!t afford the high dollar lease with the baited fields. I get it. The powers be to be could care less what our opinion may be and the fact that many of us have been obsessed duck hunter for over 60
    yrs. Some of you younger guys would do well to listen to some of the older hunters, they understand what I am saying. Duck Hunting has changed a lot over the past 60 yrs, some good a lot bad. They say we have more ducks than ever and I don't disagree but the average hunter is harvesting a lot fewer. If you have been hunting less than 30yrs you would not know that because you may be buying into all the BS that the people now in charge, who by the way weren't around 30 yrs ago. Remember, I'm not always right but I think I am, otherwise I would not express it. Praying that you guys have a Very Merry Christmas and remember the reason for the season. JESUS!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

The mid week openers, holiday splits, etc would suck for the working family man such as myself. Christmas is damn near the only time I can hunt anymore. Missing the weather seemingly every year would also suck.

3. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

I feel your pain, I remember when i was young and I was a cop and worked a many of Opening days and Holidays. Guess it's the luck of the draw.

4. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

The more things change the more I realize our season dates probably should change as well. Weather patters are changing as nothing remains as it once was forever and the same should be said of for season dates. In the East Zone and the entire state for that matter ducks are coming later, winter takes longer to get here if at all, and when you throw in the way droughts that have impacted the naturally occurring habitat just about every year in November it's time to take a hard look at the season dates.

It's my opinion that 16 days in the East Zone in the first split is a big waste of time especially after the Thanksgiving Holiday has concluded. I'm going to advocate for a 9 day first split which includes Thanksgiving weekend. This will give hunters time for their early season itch to be scratched and also give time for water, winter, and ducks to arrive with the 2nd split opening one week earlier that it is this year giving East Zone hunters the best chance to hunt when water, winter, and ducks are most abundant!

This year that would have meant the season would have opened on Nov. 18th for 9 days and closed on Nov. 26th. The normal 12 day split would then take place with the second split beginning on Sat. Dec. 9th and the season concluding on Jan. 28th.

Larry if you are listening more than ever I think this scenario deserves serious consideration given the way the weather patterns have really changed over the years and with that so have the ducks migration patterns.

5. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Hey the ducks are still way north of me in SE KANSAS we have about the same number that we would have in july around here. So lots are north i am hearing over 500k mallards still in SD on the missouri river

6. ducaholic

http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/waterfowl/counts/missouri-river-count-dec12.pdf

You are right. I wonder if this subset of mallards ever makes it to the deep south? I looked at the snow cover map and the Missouri River area around Pierre is not snow covered so I'm not surprised that this particular group of northern mallards is holding tight.

7. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

If those birds have access to food and water we'll never see them. How ya been Perry?

8. ducaholic

Good Donnie. It’s been a tough year.

Hope all is well.

9. ducaholic

10. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

It wasn't that long ago that we were fighting for a later closing and that helped us North LA mallard hunters back when we still had birds coming to Louisiana. I feel your pain Perry but when you don't have birds I just don't see what difference our dates will make? Perhaps an earlier opener would help put a few more juveniles, that haven't learned to play the game yet, on your stringer. It's all about bird numbers or lack of them for us North part of the state hunters and I don't have a clue what will fix this. Health issues have kept me out of blind this season for the first time in 57 years. Nothing life threating but I'm having a hard time remembering all the fun I was having when I was doing things that weren't kind to my body. :)