Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Well...I Done Did It.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Just put in my order for my Large Swamp Runner. Bought the 670 Predator a couple of weeks ago , on sale, just now the gizmo part of it from SR. Put it together next weekend and I guess idle it for 3 hours with no load ( heard that was the break in reccomendation) . Empty the metalized oil, add Royal Purple and head to the lake for some scouting, a few brewskies in celebration and some learning and some fun. Do you think breaking a bottle of cheap beer over the engine would hurt it? Ha. What do you guys think about the break in proceedure? Also synthetic oil or dino oil? Any extra additives like BG products, Lucas etc?

dwhauss and widgeon like this.
  2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I just started by taking mine out on a few runs and changed the oil after the 1st few hours of operation. Any oil is fine -10w30 for above freezing and 5w30 for below freezing...i use whatever oil is on sale and change it about every 20hours or so. I do check it for level and color before every trip out.

3. warrenwaterfowler

Let us know how that thai kit works out for you. I had one and it worked- but it was a DOG to control...got a BW kit because I was tired of being physically exhausted after steering my boat and trying to keep the prop down.

4. Tailfeathers

They say if it is balanced well, it shouldnt tire your arse out. I dont know, i’ll see. Looking to make a post out of big conduit. Just have to figure out where to. Get it bent. My buddy did some bending at Home Depot by “trying out “ their conduit bender on the store’s store. We both might have to go to try it out again on the 2” plus stuff.

AJCsurf likes this.
  5. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

Not sure about idling for 3 hrs, I've done a few harley rebuids, and we always kept the rpm varied, never running it up hard or letting it idle for long. My 2 cents.

callinfowl likes this.
  6. Tailfeathers

Thanks. I think I'll just run her on the lake, never going faster than a third throttle and varying it just by using it. We'll be scouting anyway. I'm just wondering how critical the 3 hour break in really is. Guys that but these for equipment bolt them on and go to work. No one breaks in a brand new car engine other than taking it easy for a while, maybe like no 80 mph plus driving for a few hours.

7. warrenwaterfowler

Be sure to get a low psi fuel pump and make sure you have a twoway vented gas tank...most of the new ones only vent IN....a pair of pliers to rip off the vent diaphragm under the cap solves that

8. Tailfeathers

Do I need an external fuel pump? I am planning to have the tank in the bow section with a long fuel line.

9. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

Doubt it, but you'll find out. Those motors are mass produced work horses, not sewing machines. 3-5 hrs if fine for break in, change the oil and have at it.

AJCsurf likes this.