Well Its the 10th

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by PorkChop, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Kusko

Kusko Senior Refuge Member

Alright guys, the geese are starting to flock up here and it appears they are moving to and from their feeding grounds. It's beginning to look like fall around here as we had frost on Sunday morning. I'm headed up for one more silver trip this weekend and then out to the village for the opener. I'll give more reports as the season progresses.

2. kodyb

kodyb Senior Refuge Member

Sharpies and a happy dog!!!

Attached Files:

3. northern wings

northern wings Elite Refuge Member

Got out on Sunday for some grouse, kicked up a flock about a dozen Sharp-Tails and Tim and I managed 6 birds total, got home and had a family of Spruce Grouse in the drive way 9I left them be since we watched them from chicks (until clients start needing Spruce Grouse this winter).
    Looks to be a good grouse year.

-northern wings

4. bobshem

bobshem Senior Refuge Member

Bob here. It's 10:30 PM on Tuesday and I am gathering up my stuff for next weekend. I am heading to the Interior on Thursday for the Friday opener. Last year at the duck pond opening day was nuts with birds beating feet for the Inlet. So to avoid that zoo I am hoping that my camping trip will be a bit more laid back. Plus the ten bird limit doesn't hurt a thing.

I saw Dallen at Sportsman's Warehouse buying a skookum camo jacket. Hey Dallen, what was the brand of that jacket you showed me? I may have to get one in my size.

The sunny break in the constant downpour gave me a chance to repack my trailer bearings and install a set of "Bearing Buddies" on the hubs. It took me about an hour to disassemble the hubs, wash the bearings, repack the bearings and reassemble the hubs. Then it took me about three hours to figure out how to get those miserable "Bearing Buddies" into the hubs. As it turned out I fabricated a sort of "wheel puller" to push the "Bearing Buddies" into the hubs. It works like a charm. Now I am ready for the next bearing repack.

I have my new Outboard Jet jet unit installed and greased and ready to race Bigreid down the river.

5. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

I don't know Bob, my big sled with just run over your little transport vessel!!! Wait until you see the flashlight I have this year, I may be more excited about using that than anything!!! that is sad isn't it:nutz
    I can't hunt the opener due to work but I will be out somewhere for the weekend. Probably catch a tide and head across the inlet for a couple hours. I still have some work to do on the boat.
    BTW, thanks for the heads up on the ammo sale:mad:

6. bobshem

Ammo sale? What ammo sale? You must have talked to Mark. Heck, I would have told you provided two things occurred: 1. I knew that you shot Hevi-Shot and 2. I remembered that the stuff was on sale.

Heck, #2 is the toughest as I have the world's worst memory. It's just dumb luck that I remembered and told Mark.

7. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

I don't shoot heavy shot but at the prices Mark said they were selling it for I will shoot some. I think I am going to shoot the Kent 3 1/2" #2 1650fps this year. I got that new Benelli I am itching to shoot!
    I will probably be in the marsh next weekend, see you out there, what time am i going to have to leave to beat you there????

8. bobshem

I got back from my trip to the Interior.

The finally tally:

Something like 7 or 9 ducks for two guys for three days. Not worth going into detail. The trip would have been better if we had gotten more sun and if my rain pants were a little more water-resistant.

I got to shoot my new Super Black Eagle II. It will shoot light loads just fine but it jammed pretty consistently with three inch Remington Hevi Shot. It jammed a couple of times with Kent Fasteel.

I am hoping that once I get a few boxes of shells through the gun that it will be a bit more reliable.

As for racing me to the pond, Bigreid, I leave home 2 1/2 hours before shooting time, so do the math, leave about 15 minutes earlier and then you can stick your tongue out at me as I pass you at your hot spot.:p

9. bigreid

bigreid Moderator

go ahead and get up that early bob, I will sleep in a little and set up just down wind of your decoys:grvn :dv :sp
    Sorry to hear about your trip. Doesn't sound like it quite panned out as planned. I managed to get across the Inlet on the Saturday and knock 5 down, should have easily had a limit but I am a little rusty (Ok, a lot rusty about 10 shots/bird). I think I may have shot better, but I checked my choke when I got home and I had my IC in, I put my modified in and so I will see how it goes next time. At least that is what I am telling myself!!!

I also shot my SBEII for the first time, I shot #2 Kent and some Hevi shot through it with no jams. I just picked up some 3 1/2" #2 Kents 1625 fps I plan on shooting for a while.

I should be in the marsh this weekend, still finishing up the boat and getting my landing craft powered up, gotta get the prop off and the jet put on.

10. bobshem

Bigreid,

Just this evening I swapped out my 35 hp Kenai cam for my 40 hp Everywhere Else cam. That way I should shave a few seconds off my quarter mile time. :tu