Well Its the 10th

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by PorkChop, Aug 10, 2006.

1. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

I am still looking for a 70 or 90 yamaha jet, let me know if you ever hear of any. I am going to pull my Kenai motor off tomorrow and put on Mark's jet in the next day or two. I am glad you have come to the dark side and got a jet!1
    What did the river look like as you crossed driving back, I am assuming it is normal to high, I wonder how much the channel has changed. I am going to try and get down in the daylight to get the boat set up. If not, I have a 15 mil candle power flashlight that will light up the whole place!

2. bigreid

I was on another forum and guys were complaining that it was a bad opener on the flats and back up Jim, fewest birds they have seen and no teal. What have you heard??

I have seen a lot flocked up geese and many sandhills flying overe the house the last couple of days. Seems early for the birds to be on the move in any numbers.

3. LastFrontierLabs

LastFrontierLabs Elite Refuge Member

I don't think they are moving in big flocks yet. We had 65-70 degree weather this weekend. No birds are gonna think about moving south when the weather is nice.

4. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Hey Bob, that was RiversWest fleece that I bought there. Good stuff, kind of pricey, but its good.

Adam, your going to shoot 3.5" at ducks?! Boy, your a glutten for punishment.:tu

I shot a bunch at snows this past spring. I had a headache at the end of each day from having my brain bouncing off my skull that many times. I think I'll stick with just plain old 2.75's and 3 inchers for the ducks and geese. These fast loads of steel are pretty effective at killing these birds.

5. bigreid

I have never shot the 3 1/2" 12 ga but I am used to shooting the my SP-10. I think I will like that fast #2 load. That SBE II will probably kick me like a mule but if I can hit anything I should be okay! I guess right now my shooting can only improve.
    I am going across the inlet tomorrow night and I will shoot the 3 1/2" loads. I just hope the 1625 fps loads aren't too fast and blow out the pattern, I haven't had time to test it. I know bob used to shoot a bunch of 1600+ loads and he really liked them.
    I am too cheap to spring for the hevi-shot like loads. I shot a few the other day and knocked a few stone dead but they were close shots and it didn't matter what I was using. I figure for most of our 20yd decoy shots the cheaper stuff is fine.
    I hope to make it to the marsh this weekend, altough the reports I have gotten are not good. I was going to take the boat down Wednesday but I am going to go hunting instead.
    Any reports on water levels? PM if you want

6. bobshem

bobshem Senior Refuge Member

The water was (is) high, so a jet won't be needed for a while.

Dallen, thanks for the head's up on the jacket.

7. bobshem

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Engines/2005/E-Tec/In.Line.60.50.40/

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Engines/2005/E-Tec/In.Line.90.75/

I recently spoke with one of the bigwigs at Outboard Jets. I was asking him if it made any difference if the powerhead was either a 40, 50, or 60 in a series where each motor weighs the same and used the same size powerhead, seeing that the water pump and impeller are the same for all of the horsepowers in the series. He said that one should get the highest horsepower in the series as the extra horsepower really does make a difference. He also said that he really likes the two-stroke Evinrude E-Tec series of engines. He was hesitant to recommend one brand over another but he said that he was impressed with the performance of the E-Tecs when coupled with a jet.

When I win the lottery I'd like to try an E-Tec 60 with a jet on my jon boat. (or an E-Tec 90 on a new, bigger jon)

8. bigreid

I am pulling my prop off anyways to get it done, that boat with the prop flies, I would hate to blow you out of the water:yes :yes
    I missed a 90 yamaha in the paper a couple weeks ago. I am looking used and the 70 3cylinder has a great weight to power ratio. I am with you, when I win the lottery I will spring for a new motor!!!
    Are you getting out this week at all??

9. bobshem

Fri., Sat., Sun. :tu

10. bigreid

Bob, you are a true duck hunting animal. I wish I could do that, how does your wife like that??? My wife is great when it comes to hunting but I feel bad leaving the kids too much. I can't wait until Drake is old enough to go!!!