Well sizes

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by STL11, Aug 23, 2017.

1. STL11

STL11 New Member

looking to expand one of my impoundments this spring and considering putting in a well for more reliability. Would like to hear from some of you guys that have already done this. How big of a well casing/pump and how many acres do you flood? If you don't mind sharing the price put it up

2. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

There are so many variables to consider you could spend anywhere between $10-$100k. Total acres being irrigated. Crop types. How quickly you want to get it flooded up. Aquifer depth. Soil type. Power source. Etc...and these are just a few of the variables I can come up with my limited knowledge. A typical set up here for rice is a 16" casing with a 40-60 hp gear head. Depending on power supply, you're talking about $20-$40k. A similar set up out in KS, NE, or OK may run closer to $100-$150k. Granted, you likely won't be needing anything that large, but I was just demonstrating the large difference in pricing from on location to another. Best advice I can give you is find a good reputable local irrigation company and get them to give you a quote.

If you know the total acres, water depth, and how quickly you want to flood it up I can give you a rough estimate on how many gpm you'll need. How to go about putting in a well to provide those gpm would be up to the local irrigation expert.

3. STL11

STL11 New Member

Yes there are quite a few variables just wondering what some of the guys have mainly on smaller impoundments <25 acres or so. I have an impoundment now that is about 2.5 acres in moist soil and jap millet currently. Looking to expand to 5 this spring/summer and considering a well. I currently use a 3" trash pump and pump from a near by good size ditch. It would be doable with the trash pump just would have to run it 12-15 8 hr days. I've estimated about 1.5 million gallons would get it to 10" could go less if needed but want to make sure its good water across the whole thing. It was a cutover started from scratch i've been getting cleared a little at a time. This is the first yr i've had food in it. It floods very easy and tons of clay, the ditch i dug to build the dike holds water yr round. I was just curious of anyone elses set up similar. Trying to get an idea of size needed as i'm not really an expert on wells.

4. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Just depends on how fast you want to fill it up at this point. 3 days? Gonna need 400-500 gpm. Most guys around here can get that with an 8" casing and 10hp electric submersible pump for $10-15k. 2 days? Gonna need closer 800-1000gpm. If you're lucky and having a shallow aquifer you might be able to get that with a 15hp submersible in an 8" casing. Probably looking at $13-18k. If you don't have electricity and need to buy a power unit, you can just about double those prices. At least around here.

If it's close to the house and you can check on it every day, I wouldn't see any reason to go any larger than 3-500gpm. If it's a couple hours away, I'd want to be able to pump it up over the weekend. That way I can turn it on when I get there for a work weekend and it'll be ready to shut off when I leave.

5. STL11

STL11 New Member

Ok thanks thats the kind of info i was looking for. I know it veries with every site but just looking for general price range. Will have a test dug before any casings go in. Still have the ability to use 3" trash pump to help aid a well running. Thanks for the info

6. DuckDawg12

DuckDawg12 Refuge Member

I would look into a 6-8" Pto Relift pump and a used 30-40hp tractor put a Murphy switch on it (auto cut off for temp and oil) and get a roll of poly pipe your set
    Then you have a tractor to start working food plots
    Guarantee cheaper set up then a 8" well and even a 10 hp motor

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  7. STL11

STL11 New Member

I have considered this as well i already have a 35hp tractor. I pump from a small creek about 10ft wide and 6 ft deep. It is currently damned up by beavers so it holds water yr round problem i had last yr was there is a dam behind my property and another few hundred yards down. Last yr i had to bust the 2nd one open by hand to finish pumping. It worked but a total pain which is why i was considering a well. I think i can get around a 400 gpm pto pump for 3-4k just have to deal with the battle of beavers

8. DuckDawg12

DuckDawg12 Refuge Member

You can get a 6-8" Relift around here for well under a grand I see them all the time for 5-800
    And if you aren't constantly fighting beavers you have the wrong bottom ground to duck hunt
    It comes with the territory

9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Based upon this comment I must be sitting on a gold mine ;)

10. STL11

STL11 New Member

I looked into some pto pumps and some diesel driven trash pumps in the 6" range. Found some not too bad of a price but unfortunately i was at the property yesterday went to check the creek/ditch that i pump from and someone on neighboring property has busted the beaver dams up and all the water was gone down to maybe a ft at best in the bottom. So there goes my water source for that impoundment guess i'm with the less fortunate crowd now and relying on rain to give me what i need there. This was the 2nd yr i've owned this piece and 1st yr actually having some food in there. Sucks to have to rely on that but nothing i can do about it this yr. This whole duck impoundment thing has been one obstacle after another and the odds never seem to be in a hunters favor haha. Hopefully we get more than we did last yr i think from about thanksgiving to the end of feb we only got 2.5" of rain it was a VERY dry winter for me last yr