Well sizes

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by STL11, Aug 23, 2017.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Me too, until I discovered tannerite.

2. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

We need to talk. I want to know more about that program!!

3. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge Refuge Member

I have 10" well ,1750 gpm, it takes at least 50 horse power unit, I use a ford 300 6 cylinder LP power unit. Next year I'm going with electric. I checked with my local irrigation company and they said it would cost 1/3 as much as I spend now on LP. The well was ther when I bought the property.

4. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge Refuge Member

To switch out well heads from a power unit to electricity cost around $2500.00 + running electric wire to it

5. STL11

STL11 New Member

Any idea how deep it is? I'm thinking of going 6" or 8" if i can as i'm only doing 5 acres. Will have to wait till they test drill to find out how deep i need to go. Looking to get at least 4-500 gpm. Mine will prolly have to be run off a generator most likely as its very remote and not near any power hook ups

6. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

You've already got a tractor. Why not use it instead of buying a generator.

7. STL11

STL11 New Member

Most likely look into that. Depending on how big of a well i can put in or afford for that matter may need to run it longer than a bigger one would. I'd be more comfortable running a newer generator unattended than an old tractor. But it will all depend on the well test to see how big and how many gpm i can get

8. Marlboroman

Marlboroman New Member

For an impoundment your size, I would look into the Warthog pump. Make in Canada but I got mine via Agridrain. It pumps 800 gpm (low head pressure) on a 5 hp engine. It floats with the water level and can run dry without issue (so they say). I have the "donut" ring gas tank and will run over 24 hours on 6 gallons of gas. I believe the cost is roughly $2,500. I use mine to dewater in heavy rains but have friends that use as a primary water source on 5 or 6 acre ponds.

9. STL11

STL11 New Member

I believe i came across this when i was looking originally but ended up going 4" trash pump for a few hundred as both impoundments are only 2 acres each right now but looking to expand this spring. I may end up needing a well now or digging a pond for water source as someone on neighboring property busted the beaver dams up in my creek/ditch that i was pumping from so now have a ft at best of water in there