Well...the World has gone to hell. The two religions of peace are attacking and killing each other.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

The Buddhist monks are attacking and killing Muslims.

Holy bat guano Batman!

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...e-stop-burmas-hardline-buddhist-monks/538992/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

What 2 religions?

Buddhism doesn't fit neatly into either category of religionor philosophy. When people asked Buddha what he was teaching, he said he teaches "the way things are." He said nobody should believe his teachings out of faith, but instead they should examine for themselves to see if they are true or not.

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Here...you can discuss it with these folks.

https://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

[​IMG]
    • What is Buddhism?

Buddhism is a religion to about 300 million people around the world. The word comes from 'budhi', 'to awaken'. It has its origins about 2,500 years ago when Siddhartha Gotama, known as the Buddha, was himself awakened (enlightened) at the age of 35.

4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Buddhists don’t stand a chance unless the Chinese decide to back them.

5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Can Anyone Stop Burma’s Hardline Buddhist Monks?

Their anti-Muslim rhetoric poses a challenge for everyone from Aung San Suu Kyi to Pope Francis.

[​IMG]
    Buddhist ultranationalist monks from the Ma Ba Tha group attend a meeting to celebrate their anniversary with a nationwide conference in Yangon on May 27, 2017. Soe Zeya Tun / Reuters

In March, Buddhist religious authorities slapped Ma Ba Tha’s Wirathu with a one-year preaching ban after he thanked the men who killed a high-profile Muslim legal adviser in Yangon and after he told Buddhist women it would be better to marry dogs than Muslims. The state-backed Buddhist Sangha Council said Ma Ba Tha was not a legal organization and ordered it to take down its signs. Ma Ba Tha chapters either ignored the order or rebranded.

6. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Seems Islam has the ability to makes enemies out of almost everyone. My Indian friends (mostly Hindu) speak very very poorly of their Islamic neighbors and countrymen. Unlike most other faiths, which aren't necessarily political, true Islam is almost universally understood to be both a political and religious movement.

API likes this.
  7. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

I didn't see that the article said the Buddhists were killing anyone; seems like they are taking a hardline "no Muslims" stance, and that really is surprising...for all the Chinese did to the Tibetan Buddhists, particularly the monks and the Dalai Lama, they still work to return to Tibet and have made inroads. For the Burmese monks to do this is like an Amish farmer having the latest model John Deere and a big Ford truck delivered out to the farm...with a cell phone and an AR-15.

Bear, what LipShooter said about Buddhism is true...most Buddhists don't believe it is a religion, and in fact, one of the points of debate has been whether or not a belief in God is requisite for being a Buddhist. Unlike most of the organized religions that talk about God, who then hands down laws/rules, Buddhism recognizes enlightened teachers and those who have attained enlightenment and their writings. I have no doubt that for some Buddha is God; the mantras or sutras and appeals to the Buddha for guidance and daily meditation, etc. ride the razor's edge, but I have no issue in making the distinction, frankly. Appealing to the Buddha for wisdom, even praying for it if you wish, is no different than asking Stephen Hawking to help me understand his theories, from the Buddhist perspective. Teacher/student...

Besides, I don't think you get to handle the snakes until at least the third or fourth time at a temple, so...not even a "real" religion...

Bear and API like this.
  8. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Dang, Buddhist wanna be's in West Virginia.

9. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

upload_2017-12-27_14-27-9.png

10. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

In the original link I provided the article says the leader thanked the men who killed the Muslim. It would be safe to think he wasn't thanking Muslims and it also said he was banned from preaching for awhile; indicating he was talking to AKA preaching to Buddhists. Not arguing just letting you know the source of my thoughts.

In the Buddhist link I provided it says the religion of 300 million people. I figured they would know if their "belief system" was a religion or not.

They also say further down that "some" followers of Buddha don't consider Buddhism a religion but a philosophy.

Again...putting my faith in the source I took "some" as to mean a sub-sect and not the major sect.

Again...not arguing just stating the reasons I arrived at my considerations.

Thank-you for your comments.

The_Duck_Master likes this.