Well...the World has gone to hell. The two religions of peace are attacking and killing each other.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Dec 27, 2017.

1. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

6,700 killed in one month according to Drs w/ No Borders:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...rst-month-of-myanmar-violence-doctors-9498880

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Isn’t that why some consider it an ideology?

3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Soooooooo is Buddhism "the Force?" :scratch Just kiddin' Guys :D!

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

If Buddhism is NOT a religion, then niether is Islam. If Islam IS a religion, then so is leftism/liberalism, as well as the pseudo-atheist, anti-Christian, man -worship we see. If not, they’re all just ideologies meant for power/political gain.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  5. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Pin, I think that article talks about the Myanmar Army killing the Muslims...not the Buddhist monks, and the OP talks about the monks thanking someone for killing, which goes against what little I do know of Buddhism. Though, to be fair, there are several lines of Buddhism depending on the country/people, and apparently the Burmese version of Buddhism is a bit more fundamentalist...

Still, it's not like some old Shaolin kung-fu movie with renegade monks roaming Myanmar and killing Muslims...though it would be cool to see if their mouths really did lag behind what they said...I wanna know how to do that...

Almo...respectfully, there are some rather large differences between Buddhism and Islam. Saying "if one isn't a religion then the other isn't either" isn't true...Islam requires a belief in one, all-powerful God and his laws...Buddhism pretty much ignores whether there is a god or gods or not and focuses on living a right life to eliminate suffering. Not that people can't pervert and corrupt, but I'm just going to have to disagree on this...

6. rhpierce

Bandit...actually Star Wars embraced a LOT of Buddhist concepts, at least in the original trilogy...Lucas discussed it. And yes, the Force is loosely similar to some Buddhist principles of energy, all things being connected, etc.

Like Obi Wan disappearing when Vader cuts him down...Buddhists have a thing called "Rainbow Body"...the Star Wars version is that to the extreme but...yeah...

OneShotBandit likes this.
  7. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Read the highlighted line in post #9 and tell us again why Buddhism is not a religion? Religion does not require belief in or worship of a god-like being.

8. The_Duck_Master

Ironically, I saw The Last Jedi last night and... SPOILER ALERT... at one point Luke specifically mentioned "the Jedi Religion." No god, yet still a religion.

9. rhpierce

Duck Master...ok...using that secondary definition, then yes...if someone ascribes that supreme importance to Buddhism, then for them, it is. Under that definition, anything that we put at the top of the list could be so...as your definition used consumerism, which can also connote a negative aspect. But if you look at the primary definition, then Buddhism falls into a really gray area.

Edit to add: I have no doubt about the Jedi thing...my question is, was it irony for him to call it a religion? That's part of the whole point of the story...the Jedi took what was a natural thing, and their role as knights/guardians, and let it become a prideful thing and a religion...which led to their downfall....I haven't seen the movie yet, but there's also a big underlying philosophical question of going to extremes one way or the other being a bad thing...

Bear, I don't doubt that the link said what it said. I can probably go find a link that says that Buddhism is a way of life, not a religion, and that "some" consider it a religion. Not arguing either...and the funny part is that the Buddhists would laugh at the waste of time discussing whether or not it is a religion when that is an unimportant question to them anyway...

As far as the OP, I'm sorry I wasn't clear and I apologize. I thought you meant the monks themselves were committing murders...it's actually hard for me to believe that practicing Buddhists would commit murder, but people are people, and when pushed, I suppose they will defend their land/property/country/selves like the rest of us.

Everyone have a great day. Got to go run payroll, pay bills and finish a construction draw for a hotel...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Bear likes this.
  10. The_Duck_Master

This appears to imply that religion is a bad thing or that by it's nature it does more harm than good. It is by no means "religion" that causes extreme behavior but rather human nature that leads people to extremes in spite of religion. In most cases religion teaches the exact opposite by encouraging followers to practice introspection and self evaluation. Dissecting your example further, about how the Jedi allowed their role to become a "prideful thing," by definition means they weren't actually adhering to their own beliefs/religion. "Pride" is an offense discouraged by every major religion. It was not actually living up to their religion that brought their downfall, not whether it is/was an organized religion.