Well...the World has gone to hell. The two religions of peace are attacking and killing each other.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

A buddy of mine who I reflect his life and times on here often, I guess because I miss him so much, said, even though he was an atheist, that religion was a good thing because it brought order to a society.

Governments impose order many times and no one has a reasonable choice to ignore that imposition. However, people choose to follow the precepts of a religion and most religions that I know of teach a peaceful model.

However, even of those religions many do allow for killing of ones fellow humans, even intradenomination, in self-defense.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Its interesting that mankind never seemed to implement systems promoting tranquility without a basis of top down direction.

Is there such a thing as infinite tolerance? Sometimes individual or group behavior can be so onerous as to justify forfeiture of continued participation in the social structure even to the point of death. We can argue the potential for rehabilitation, but establishing "how much" and "what" creates an end point ...aaaaaannd that puts us back to the starting point.

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Can't we all just get along?

4. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Thus the primary lesson of Adam and Eve... the imperfection of mankind.
    Much to the chagrin of leftists who worship at the altar of social justice, not even Jesus preached infinite tolerance in all cases. He upset the apple cart too often to believe that.

Bear and API like this.
  5. API

Alas... the secret of an orderly society spawned from the mind of a crack addict.

6. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Perhaps the World just all needs to get and stay stoned. Dragons and unicorns are cool. The Leprechauns...not so much.

7. API

Charles Manson couldn’t be all wrong. :eek:

8. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Maybe they are agnostic Buddhists?

OneShotBandit likes this.
  10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

There are two sides to that story.

Interpretations of religion and religious writings differ. Some use such as an example to be held up to, and others use it as an excuse to do harm to others (within any given religion).

Western culture, politics, and society is based on the Judea/Christian religious philosophy… The modern beliefs of such apparently vary from the current Islamic belief philosophy, even though all teachings have more in common than differences.

I feel that Judea/Christian philosophy (so to speak) has been modernized to fit the times (i.e. we are no longer stoning people to death for infidelity), whereas in many cases, the Islamic beliefs are holding true to the exact written word. If Christians held to the literal word of the Bible (especially the Old Testament), I imagine life here would be considerably different.

And taking religious studies in college, I specifically remember that Buddhism is considered more of a philosophy than a religion. Apparently one can be a Catholic Buddhist in that these two belief systems do not necessary conflict with each other; where one cannot be a Catholic Muslim… It has been my impression that Buddhism is a philosophy on the approach of life and living, whereas religion is a belief system on why, how, and what we are here for…

I am by no means a religious scholar, and would not argue any adamant point as to the specific classification of Buddhism… But I would say that it differs considerably from Islamic, Jewish, or Christian faith based systems… I suppose if Buddhism is a religion, we would have to ask if Atheism is a religion, or the lack thereof?

The fact that Buddhist Monks are “fighting” Muslims, does make you go “HUMMM…”