Well whats next...Cant believe it !

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Waterfowl fool, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

I apologize ahead of time for the typing, Im upset and I'm just coming off of a 12 hour shift missing opening...BUT this NEEDS to be stated...

I have been hunting the same blind for the past 10 years now....Hunting meritt for about 13 to 14. My buddies hit it without me as I working this monring...Went there to the blind and found that the wildlife managers / fwc / someone has moved the barriers of the refuge on the river out another 150 feet in this area, which took the blind with it....NOT GOOD !

For the past up-teen years the refuge border (the little white signs and fence poles) where about 150 behind this particular island...How is it that they can change this without notice ?

Mr. Cook your insight to this or ANYONE with knowledge about this change would be of great importance to me and a small group that hunt the area, who should we start calling first to get some answers... 5 years in a row we have hunted that blind opening morning...No more !

I got a call at 4 am telling me the news...They asked what I would do and I siad DO NOT HUNT IT! Lets do it the right way here....

I cannot belive that they can just "move the border" without notice...Is this something we should come to expect after sinking so much money into this place? Just my thoughts, but my thoughts are that "we" (taxpayers / members of certain waterfowl organizations) sunk alot of monies into blackpoint and the new towers for the birds watchers, as well as the habitat through out MI. Do you think the "powers to be" dont want this particular blind to interact with the beloved bird watchers on blackpoint...

My question is if the borders are set and have been for many years...How can they move them without at least a public notice going out??? Anyone ?? :confused:

Sad, we pump all this money into fixing the area up with DU, UW, local fundings, elevated taxes and license fee's...just so they can take our hunting away from us...Just doesnt seem right to me! You almost want to go and hunt it and fight it out in court.... More than likely the work of some tree hugger on the payroll out there that thought..."I'll fix this spot"...BELIEVE ME BOYS...it goes on! Just sad guys..really sad...

Lucky enough for me we have some pictures from about 5 to 7 years ago some where showing the border in the background..on the other side of the island...may hold some ground with someone... :z

HELP !

2. N. Cook

N. Cook Senior Refuge Member

Before we do anything...please get the GPS coordinates of the blind's location. I have no idea where the Refuge line is, but there should be an exact rendition somewhere on a survey.

Please put your post in the form of an email with the facts that you have....and UW-F will inquire with the Refuge staff.....

I am suprised this change in the sign line was not noticed before.....do we have any idea when it occurred?

email to : newtoncook@bellsouth.net
    copy: dlithgow@bellsouth.net

3. Waterfowl fool

Yes sir !! You could imagine their surprise this morning..and then mine when I go the call...Brain Vavra stated something to me like, I came around the corner and shined that way and saw a big white clare in front of the bling. Right then my heart sank and I thouhgt to myself "This sint a good sign...literaly!"

We have not been to this particular blind since last sesaon. There was no real need to scout (I say that now) in years as wether we shot or not it was just fun getting a small group of the same friends together and hitting the same hole every year... a tradition of sorts. And as we know thats what this lifestyle of waterfowling is about "traditions".

Regarldess, The sign and the metal stake are new, I was told within a few weeks at best. The OLD sign post is still standing 150 feet behind the island which was in the middle of a small bay that borders Blackpoint, it was right in the middle of the small bay's opening which is about 300 feet wide but it was visible for all the see and clearly marked as the refuge's border.

Now that particualr sign however has been gone for better of three years...But we never crossed it of course. It was just known that was where the sign / border was. On either side fo the bay there was also signs so it was pretty obvious that the line went form one side of the bay to the other. But as I said the poles where smack in the middle and placed there by the refuge so it was obvious even when the sign fell down years ago.

As far as a GPS I will be happy to get it for you on Tuesday when I travel up there to hunt. I will email you this positing's narrative, cleaned up verbage of course, so I dont look a complete idiot...as well as my findings on the GPS.

Even if someone brought up the fact of the "blind" issue I would still agrue the fact that let the blind be taken down, we maintiain it and would be happy to take everything out as we do every year of anything we bring in.

If need be we would do that but the island itself is what the mattered at hand is....Just the point of the situation I guess. It was a spot I was hoping would be around for generations. Hopefully something can be done. I will start with the email, GPS and any other info I can for you. I will email all of them to you Tuesaday night, more than likely later that night if that is Okay.

Thank you VERY much for your imput and help into this matter Mr. Newton, It means alot to all of us who may be efeected. I figure Newton Cook could point us in the right direction and once again you have. Thank you sir !

Also guys, If anyone has had the same experience this weekend at their spot please advise me. Please keep in mind I work midnights until jan 1, 2008 so calls after noon would be appreciated. You can always email me at the below address.

Jack Nash
    863-634-3513
    or
    jacknash@embarqmail.com

4. ibfishin

ibfishin Refuge Member

I've hunted that blind with Shannon and Jess in the past. I've only hunted it three times, but it was a nice and roomy place to shoot the $h!T even if the birds weren't flying. Wasn't there another blind very close by (if I recall)? Was it affected? I hate to see that. I wonder if the islands that border Shiloh 5 are now posted?

5. Waterfowl fool

North blind not effected....So far just this one...They didnt check any others that we know about but I will on tuesday if I have to run and GPS the whole river...

6. dakota31400

dakota31400 Senior Refuge Member

Waterfowl Fool,

I grew up on that river and North of the causeway, there are only 3 islands against the dike. One just north of the xxxxxxxxxx If your talking about the blinds north of the tressel (BP),......and that North Blind is constructed of cedar, it's mine. I built it back in 1973 and between a couple of buddies and myself have kept it up since. Two years ago the front was torn off and the floor was weak. I repaired it with lattice...??????

Respectively, The South Blind has always been behind the refuge line and everyone I've known for 30 years has played that sign behind it (back inside the cut) since day 1. Those signs have been there since the 60's. It was just a matter of time. Up till 3 years ago I never had a problem with other hunters, but now, they are everywhere and thats why the signs got moved. A bunch of weekend warriors that love to shoot and shoot and shoot.....well, there is a wildlife trail behind those blinds and sure enough, things got out of hand. I had that place to myself for over 30 years because I respected it. Now because of a few....it's all but gone and I'm not happy about it.

FYI: If in fact those blinds are the subject at hand, be aware, my friends and I now make it a habit to anchor a 150 yards out in front of that North blind and dig clams all morning when we have to. Just like the guys drifting the flats for reds and trout.:yes But since you identified it xxxxxxxxx, I assume you like my little hole........small world....Think I might just bring a little extra gas with me next time and make ya build your own.

7. Greenhead2

Greenhead2 Elite Refuge Member

Im a little foggy on the exact "islands" in question, but from what I recall permanent blinds are illegal in refuge boundaries? and general hunting rules also apply in this case; Permanent built blinds are open game to anyone, first come first serve, im sure he had no idea you personally built this blind and from being a member of the forum and talking with 'fool i dont think hes the one thats been a "weekend worrier", theres most likely at least a few other parties that frequent the blind and are to blame for being trigger happy. On the issue of the boundaries being moved with no warning or notice is BS, They shouldn?t be able to make such a significant change without giving the public prior knowledge of the intended boundary change. Duck hunters keep the ?fuge running and in my opinion the refuge has been taking alot of steps backwards the past few years, i wouldn?t be surprised if they kicked us out of hunting it at all in the future just like the did on Hall Road. Something needs to happen and happen fast.

Fool sorry to hear about the situation, it really gets my blood boiling....let me know how things work out:tu

8. Waterfowl fool

here is my rebuttled to you wonder post and PM...I just wanted to protect the area, obviously you think you know me..you dont but here goes the rebuttle... Its in two parts...

Part 1 -

Ill bring the marshmallows for your fire by the way...Glad to hear your such a sensible person to naturally assume we ruined anything and that you "own"...ah the blinds....lol :l

Actually I am very thankful that persons such as you had the skills and ingenuity to build them. Despite the sarcasms in your post, I thank you & promise to you sir that my group will and has respected the area and has for the past 14 years we have hunted it....I too have friends that have hunted there for over 30 plus years...So your not alone there you probably know some of them I would imagine. As the years go by the "older hunters" become smaller and smaller groups, with them goes experience and stories that can never be replaced...

As far as the "spot" I hadn't exactly explained, as you did in such great depth, where EXACTLY the blind was but after that great detailed description you may have to make more repairs after the scores of people look for it...lol Next time just throw up the GPS #'s :rolleyes:

Listen, Dakota you’re barking up the wrong tree here friend. The groups that I hunt with are ethical hunters; we shoot straight in every sense of the word. We clean everything up when we leave, we have repaired the blind we used, we even repaired the part of your floor and dog door area (You welcome by the way!) and we have also been effected by unethical hunters, hell son we all seem to be unfortunately.

Its unfortunate that you drive all the way from either North Dakota or Georgia (which ever it may be in your Avatar) to visit the blinds that are in our state that you built years ago, only to find them being used... For that I’m sorry but it seems to be the way things are going with the more and more wildlife areas that are being controlled.

9. Waterfowl fool

Our sport, dare I say lifestyle, was passed on to me from my grandfather and I will pass it on someday myself, god willing. I assure you this I DO / WILL take care of them as long as they are there...and despite your wonderful PM I feel they are "first come - first serve"...

Besides, you seem to have some age on you correct? Let us try to work together on this issue and not like a bunch of school kids fighting over a young gal shall we... I want this area to be preserved as well....You see we are not so different.

But please use a little tact next time and don’t assume you own anything, don’t assume you know anything about my group of hunters, or myself. I can remember the stories from the late Bill Corey befor he was killed about the hundreds and hundreds of ducks that would fill your decoys in the 60's....day in day out before anything was even "established" in the area.

Those days are long since past of course. But I will do my part to help the next generation and help anyone else here on the fuge or on the side of road for that matter when it comes to it. Respect for the others and the willingness to pass on this heritage, this passion is a gift that waterfowlers as a whole need to grasp and carry with them. We have a huge responsibility here Dakota. I’m very surprised and a littel disappointed to hear some of things you stated in the PM and on our post.You seem to lean to the fact that I was effecting you personally in some way with my actions at "your blind" and Im sure you will be "looking out for me"!

I would think you would be more open to the people that respect the area…Just sad, but continue to be closed minded and this world will pass you up and forget about you… Or I challenge you to be open to others that deserve the respect and not to attack but to share…You go a lot further in life an I think you will be far more respected and less cantankerous for it! :mad:

We are all friends here, act like it! Have a good season. Hope your drive down south is a pleasant one... That’s about the jest of it :tu

PS - If your going to be such a smart @ss in the PM's don’t bother sending me another one...I’m not hear to bicker, I’m hear to learn, teach and make some friends. Maybe you too can have that concept.. I tell you what we have a camp close by that’s been there and in our group since the 60’s. You contact me next time and Ill brew the coffee… If not, peace be with you my friend…

10. Waterfowl fool

Well said & Thank you I will.. Im going tueday to gather the GPS for Mr. Cook. Hopefully he can "weld the sword" a little heavier than some dumb cop...lol :tu