Well whats next...Cant believe it !

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Waterfowl fool, Nov 17, 2007.

1. dakota31400

dakota31400 Senior Refuge Member

Waterfowl Fool,

I sent you another PM.....How about getting the details of the location off the boards to start with........

2. dakota31400

That south blind has been on the refuge since day 1...there never was a boundary change, just the correction of a previous sign placement error. The reason the old sign was placed where it is was to keep people out of the refuge where that cut enters the marsh.

Waterfowl,

I respect your reply, but please understand....with all the yahoo's showing up lately, a public description of that spot drew my last breath. That blind has been hunted by all my children...including my youngest daughter (now 13). What was once an experience for many kids and my life up till 20 years ago totally blew my daughter away recently when a few showed their real colors and disrespect for the first come "theory". This blind has been shown to others on this site that now hunt it on ocassion. They start with a courtesy call first to be sure I'm not gonna be there and then keep their lips tight. I only hunt it now maybe 10 days a year and have no problem with others using it in my absence.....This is a personal issue, it's not about the Blind or ducks. I've shot my share....and quite frankly, if I never shoot a duck again, I don't care. Sharing the experience with my kids and friends is what matters. Up till 3 years ago, I never saw another hunter any closer than than the backside of which you speak. Now, not only have the yahoo's invaded the area, but they have no respect...they take and don't give back....I'm too old for that crap.

BTW, I'm in Ga now, and a couple of weekend camping/hunting trips with my daughter right there is all thats left of my past.......after all, I was one of the first to trek there many moons ago.

Give me a call...my number is in the 2nd PM

Attached Files:

3. dakota31400

GH2

Did you ever hunt Hall road before they built up the adjacent area. We called the marsh North Barge....Hunted it and Sykes creek for years before they closed it off. I grew up in a house on a canal (sykes creel) in Diana Shores. Actually, North Barge is still public land and there are 2 sloughs left in the interior that are more than 300 yards from any developement. I don't bother going to them anymore as since they opened the dike to restore flow to barge canal, access is hard due to low water. That marsh used to be one of the biggest trout breeding areas around. Mosquito Control dredging impounding efforts took care of that....Blast from the past....back when we were teenages, hall road was our Friday Night Drag Strip:dv

4. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, but it's hard to feel sorry for your situation when no "pre-season scouting" was done.:fp

Things like this are happening not only in the Fuge but all over the state in regards to a change in signage.

If someone from your group would have taken the time to scout the area before hand, we may not be having this conversation now.

5. Greenhead2

Greenhead2 Elite Refuge Member

yes i indeed have and am familiar with the area, i live on a canal in sykes cove (a few developments north of diana shores). The areas you mentioned IMO used to be absolutly top of the line, i had many many days of great hunts and memories, however development has put in end to that its sad to see all of our best locations being taken away from us.:cry

6. dakota31400

Behind the school?

I remember when that was a developement comprised of only sand lots that provided the best dove hunting I have ever seen....also a crash site for an Airforce Jet fighter back in the 70's... The Wastewater treatment plant outfall impoundments just South of you was a great place for Green Winged Teal.

How long have been in that area? I graduated from MI in 74.

Were you there when Sykes Creek Marsh and the Bananna River were still open?.......Boat full of 10 point Pintail and Widgeon almost a guarantee.

I used to drive my boat from the house up to the subject blind. 1.25 tanks of gas round trip. I still have the same boat. 1970 delhi

Attached Files:

7. bohl

bohl Elite Refuge Member

dakota31400 ,
    sorry to jack this thread a little bit, but I noticed the infultrator hat in the picture. I love those hats. I've got a few of them to. My Dad used to represent them or something like that.

8. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator

Oh man this thread has turned into a walk down memory lane on lost hunting spots... :mad:

I just went to a church Sunday that is sitting on one of mine.:l

9. dakota31400

It's a company that manufactures Septic System absorption lines....Freebe at an Environmental Health seminar.

10. dakota31400

The refuge boundary is probably further out than new sign is now. A Map will show the entire bay area from the tressel to the southern point is inside the boundary. The last time I hunted that island, the old blind was gone and new mangrove stands were emerging. Sure hope the guys that rebuilt the blind didn't mess with the vegetation.....that in itself would have forced the staffs hand. The blind in question also has a wildlife viewing trail about 150 yards behind it...Many people walk it. The trail in this area is on the river dike, not an inside impoundment birm. Management has been very gracious in pushing the envelope for hunters in this area. Lately however, several complaint reports from other hunters has forced the regulatory hand. I myself reported hunters going inside the refuge to take game two years ago. I called it in from my blind and the choppers rounded up those guys like cattle.

If you choose to confront the staff... it's only gonna give them reason to enforce all the boundaries to the letter and then we'll all be out of a place to hunt. Don't forget, the refuge also has a buffer zone and if that gets enforced we are all done. The problem is the Yahoo's, not the refuge staff. The staff's objective is and always has been to promote the sport...not interfere with it.

I suggest you let a sleeping dog alone. Move on down the shoreline, there's only about 20 miles of it available......you'll just have to build your own blind or pull up in the mangroves......Just stay off the dikes. Up a ways adjacent to shilo, you only need a peice of paper and the patients to poll in or walk your boat about 1/2 mile in the shallow flats.

Do what the rest of the local older guys have always done...move on and leave the BS behind you. Find your own little peice of heaven for the future and let the rest of us fade away in peace.

What say you UW-F. May I suggest a bit of wisdom before you unsheild thy sword.

sincerely,
    Gary A. Hummel