Well whats next...Cant believe it !

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Waterfowl fool, Nov 17, 2007.

1. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

Wrong. The EEL took them away from you.

2. Lake O Hunter

Lake O Hunter Elite Refuge Member

the EEL?

3. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

Thats who now owns the land they are talking about. The environmentally endangered lands program google it up. They have a passive recreation only policy. No hunting or fishing.

4. N. Cook

N. Cook Senior Refuge Member

UW-F has a very good relationship with Dorn and the staff....you notice I asked for GPS numbers.... we will simply ask them to check to be sure the numbers (and the blind) are either in or out of the Refuge....and why the sign was changed....

We do not put ourselves in an adversarial position with any of the agencies we deal with across the state...

I spoke with some of the staff from the USF&WS responsible for the area tonite at the SFWMD WRAC Recreation Mtg. in WPB and alerted them to the issue....they also believe some of the signing has been placed plus and minus the Refuge line and it may have been just a correction....

We will be interested to know if any notice of the change was made to the public in advance....this is usually at least a courtesy.

What I do not want is a complaint of legal hunting activity by so call passive users on the refuge dictating a move just to save their tender ears from gunshots.....

5. Greenhead2

Greenhead2 Elite Refuge Member

You're right about that. If i recall correctly they just bought the rest of the remaining land in the "thousand islands" area of cocoa beach?? I understand what there doing, but the land would be taken care of and managed ALOT better if it was in the hands of conservational waterfowlers...lets please not get started on hunting issues in the banana and indian rivers around here:mad:

6. Greenhead2

Greenhead2 Elite Refuge Member

'bout 2 miles north of the school, the 2nd development before the barge canal. i wasent around back in those days but ive heard plenty of stories of how things use to be, as far as i can remember hall road and the surounding areas were every bit as good as the fuge if not better. i think ive shot more species there then anywhere else in the state.

7. Lake O Hunter

Thanks Mottler...I checked out the organization I see its a brevard county deal! I understand why they're trying to protect land as fast as it gets developed in FL, but it would be nice if them and others would make a portion of it open to hunting!

8. dakota31400

dakota31400 Senior Refuge Member

Bananna River,

We used to hunt the shoal Islands located at the North end a mile or so south of NASA Cswy. It was a major roost area and we always hunted the afternoons. I can still see the waves of Red Heads moving down the river just before Sunset and continuing on past twilight. Flock after flock, 1-2 minutes apart flying wing tip to wing tip in straight lines, some big enough to seemingly stretch from shore to shore. They would appear from over the VAB. The first birds would drop to a 100 feet over the water booking toward their roost further south. As the light faded, their altitude got higher and higher till all you could do is hear their wings slicing through the air in a dark sky.

Now....Turning back the clock......the best hunt of my life.

Jimmy and his younger brother Steve, my friend, were avid, very successful waterfowlers. If there were birds to be had during tough times, they would find them. We were in Jr. high school at the time and I pretty much restricted my hunting to the marshes in Sykes Creek and North Barge Canal. I did good there, but the stories Steve would tell about North Bananna River always sent my mind into a day dream of which there seemingly was no return. Their spot was a secret and fearing the wrath of his brother, he was reluctant to share the location with me. It took some real pestering, but Steve finally gave in one day and invited me along. I was off to my first River hunt. He too lived on Sykes Creek across the street from the school. The next day, we skipped last period and headed up the river.

It didn't take long to set out the 100 or so decoys on the south side of the shoal island inside a very shallow cove located about 30 yards west of the eastern tip of the island. Further to the east, a narrow channel about 40 yards wide and then another island. The water was shallow, the bottom hard and the sea grass so thick one could barely wade in it without falling flat on their face. In the middle of the cove was a small bench made of a single 2X6 nestled in behind some short, but thick mangroves at the waters edge. In the decoys rippling on the water, gleemed a relection of the VAB. It was abour 3:00pm.

It was only about ten minutes later when from the left, 10 or so Pintail floated over the decoys like a pod of gulls?.we dropped 3. An hour passed with no birds before we heard the faint call of a mallard. From the eastern shoreline 2 Mottled Ducks approached and made a pass on our right. Mottled Ducks, like heck, they were Black ducks and coming around the back of the island on their second pass. Ba-Bam?both hit the water belly up, green legs paddling in the air. No sooner did we get back in the blind when the sound of hundred widgeon echoed behind us. Steve got on his Widgeon/Pintail call and started up a conversation. All went silent and I let out a big sigh. Steve smiled at me and said ?just wait? Sure enough, from a 1000 feet over our left shoulder, the entire flock had turned and slowed into a stall?.all of em, twisting and turning, flipping and flopping all the way down to earth. They were everywhere around us?.hovering over the island as well as the decoys. Steve dropped two with his side by side 20ga and I blew three holes in the sky. By then, it was about 4:30 and all movement except for the Blue Bills and Ring Necks trading up and down the river had stopped. The sun was closing in on the horizon and I was short of my limit?Steve was technically done. I asked about when we would pick up and Steve simply looked at me, turned away and mumbled ?just wait, you aint seen nothing yet?.

No sooner did the sun touch the treeline along shore when the first flocks of Red Heads appeared on the horizon. Steve got up and said ?lets go?. In a hastened pase, he trotted to the end of the island and started crossing the channel toward the other island. ?Get in the bushes he yelled and then disappeared into the mangroves across the channel. ?here they come? he yelled and sure enough a flock was barreling down the river 300 feet off the water right toward us. 200 Yards out they transformed from a strait line into a narrow mass 100 feet thick as they dropped down right on top of the water and blasted between the islands moving a supersonic speed. I could see the bright rusty red heads of the drakes as they passes by, some only a few feet from my face. I didn?t even pull the trigger, they were gone in a flash. Steve dropped 2 and I stood there in awe. Birds of all species were now buzzing everywhere, but we held fast for another go with the Red Heads. Sunset was questionable when the second flock repeated the trick I saw a few minutes earlier?..Steve dropped another 2 and I crippled a hen?.It was getting dark and time to pack up?.As we were picking up the decoys, the Widgeon started arriving at their roost. They came from every direction and wanted in?I?ll bet no less than 500 alone set into the decoys while we stood in the middle of the stage and watched the show.

This was a true story?..burned into the furthest reaches of mind?..then now and forever. ?.ya ya, I know?.we shot over our limit?.I was a kid.

9. Lake O Hunter

very cool story and thanks for sharing!

10. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Come on Jeff, Give me a break man... If you came home only to find someone had moved your front door you wouldnt be upset... :confused: Anyways I have learned quit a bit form this. Mr. Cook Im "GPS'ing" the cordinates over to you now. Hope they help. I appreciate the help as well.

Glad I could relive some memories for everyone. Just a little FYI Dakota and I are A-O-K ! He's a very decenet guy, jsut took up a point as to what he felt he was protecting his area, which I feel in some ascpects we all would. Anyways, men talk things out, we did, hachet is burried....